Conclusion: The Siren Song

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » June 30th, 2010, 3:55 am

In Decision Time, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

"To heck with this," Egge said. With that, we left the pasture, crossed a creek and slipped 200 yards through a ditch, stopping at the base of a small bluff. I yelped on a box call, and the gobbler cut me off.

"He's in a pasture up on top," Egge said.

We climbed up the hill, set up and enjoyed 15 minutes of heart-stopping gobbling. With rain still pouring down, I ended the hunt with a 10-yard shot.

"Man, I'll take that any day over waiting in a pasture," I said.

Egge nodded.

"Yep. Of course, we don't know what happened after we left."

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Great information can help you make good turkey hunting decisions. Click here to get expert advice on spring gobbler hunting.

Uncle Nicky1

RE: Conclusion: The Siren Song

Postby Uncle Nicky1 » June 30th, 2010, 4:31 am

I'd have gotten up & chased the vocal turkey also. There's no guarantee you'd have gotten a shot at him, but considering it's the last day, it's time to start taking some chances. There's no such thing as a sure thing, IMO...you could have waited in the first pasture all day without any action (even though you had reliable information), been there, done that. Plus, the fact that it was raining & you weren't in a blind would have been some good incentive to get up, just to dry off if nothing else.

The only thing that WOULD have made me consider staying in the first setup was the rain...everyone knows turkeys like the open fields when it's raining.

Return to Decision Time