fall gobbles

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Dcoleinpa

fall gobbles

Postby Dcoleinpa » June 9th, 2009, 4:47 am

who uses gobbles in the fall? what type of call do you use to make it? ive heard guys do it on mouth calls and it sounds great. ive also heard a tube call can make a realistic gobble along with a box. what about you guys?

mark hay

RE: fall gobbles

Postby mark hay » June 9th, 2009, 10:29 am

I have used the gobble in the past , but at that time it didn't help . This was also in an attempt to fire up a longbeard . Now those young of the year jakes will respond to jake gobbles for sure . If you can get into a brood flock it can be real intertainment . As long as they don't get skittish and nervous on you I would recommend playing with them a while .

I use a mouthcall to make jake and longbeard gobbles .

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » June 9th, 2009, 1:31 pm

mark got any tips for mouth call gobbles? what type do you use? is it easier with a certain cut/reed combo?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 9th, 2009, 2:27 pm

In the past I've used mianly Primos' Diamond Yelper , and Diamond Cutter. I just switched this spring to a couple of Stevepa's calls . They are far superior on hen and gobbler calls .
 As far as making the gobbles , well ,I'll try my best to describe it .

With no call in your mouth , pretend your blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Blow out the imaginary candles a few times .I ask you to do this to get the feeling of the shape of your mouth and lips . Now using the tip of your tongue , as you blow out the candles , turn off and on the air flow . Next repeat the blowing , and the tip of your tongue action and HUM out the rhythm of a gobble . Lastly cup both hands in front of your mouth to get that HOLLOW sounding part of the gobble . Insert the call and try it .

I didn't think this all out for myself and grab my call and start gobbling either . I have been making perty good jake gobbles for several years . That is jakes of the first year . They do sound goofy and like someone on the forum said ''sounds more like a barking''. They are perty simple to imitate , in my opinion.
My real gobbles actually improved just this spring as I was practicing at work . I did some impromptue experimenting and it turned out far better than I expected .
I realize my steps of teaching are about as goofy as it can be but that's the best I can come up with .
Hope this helps .

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 10th, 2009, 1:23 am

Dcoleinpa,  You may want to try a tube call to gobble with, I use the Primos tube call and it does well for me. It is a little easier than a mouth call, I think.  You also can great gobbler clucks from as well.  This is just another option for you to consider. Good Luck and good huntings this fall!
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » June 10th, 2009, 4:02 pm

mark i will try that forsure. smith i plan on getting a tube call sometime this summer ill let ya know how it goes guys

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 16th, 2009, 3:12 am

i watched frank call and kill a longbeard this fall using his box to gobble at it.....by far a box is the easy way to gobble and sounds great.....
Break em at Night...Back at light

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » June 16th, 2009, 11:54 am

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

by far a box is the easy way to gobble and sounds great.....

i agree

Return to Fall Hunting