fall calling

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
FL Turkey Hunter

fall calling

Postby FL Turkey Hunter » June 22nd, 2010, 3:45 am

What kind of calling do you guys use during the fall and what kind of calls box, slate etc.     

Thanks,Parker

eggshell

RE: fall calling

Postby eggshell » June 22nd, 2010, 5:42 am

You'll use more yelps and slow soft clucks. One key point to remember, in most cases slow the calling up from spring. You don't always need the excitement. You will want to learn the kee kee, whistles and soft clucks that are more like a chirp. and for gobblers learn their yelps. Gobblers are more course and drawn out. If you hear a bird running more than four yelps in a string it's most likely a gobbler.

I got to go I may add some more tips later

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 22nd, 2010, 10:06 am

Welcome Parker ,,,glad to have among us .

The calling depends on what we may KNOW is in our immediate area , or what we are hearing , or what one might be specifically searching for . The flocks of October and early November may be made up of all ages and either sex . Maybe just a small flock of broodless hens . Or , a gang of jakes from last years hatch ,,,old gobblers ,,,and of course , the brood flocks with the few hens and their remaining poults .
 I use a walnut box for matching older gobblers clucks , purrs and yelps . A mouthcall for gobbles and any of the younger birds , as well as all gobbler and hen talk. A trumpet will be in the woods with me this fall as well . Of course I always carry a real wing from a previous trophy , for leaf scratching and mock fights and mock flydown .
  Many have said it and will say it again . Being out among the turkeys , in their domain and range , for observation , and listening to their calls is the best school.  They will be where the food is . Scouting near and far is most beneficial.
 There will be more to say later .

FL Turkey Hunter

Postby FL Turkey Hunter » June 22nd, 2010, 10:51 am

Thanks for the tips i've got some practicing to do.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 22nd, 2010, 1:02 pm

Fall calling is so much different than spring. The calls you need are different and the rythem is different.  Soft calls work well. Clucks and gobbler yelps can make a big difference depending what your goal is for fall hunting.

If you are after a super jake or mature gobbler then clucks from a tube call or wingbone can be deadly.

Old gobbler yelps from the same tools will also seal the deal in the fall.

If you just want to talk flock talk, then the standard kee-kee run and old hen assembly yelp will be great calls to use.

First decide what you want to go after, then practice until you feel confident in your calls.  Scouting is the key to success.  Make sure you have plenty of leather on your boots.  You will cover lots of ground.  But the fall is a fantastic time to be in the woods.

Enjoy and good hunting and good luck!

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » June 22nd, 2010, 3:10 pm

You need to know flock make-up,to know what calls to use.I like to call alot,Spring and Fall but more in Fall.Mouth calls are easy to use for kee kee runs and I have good success gobbling in longbeards with a gobble shaker in Fall.Good luck to ya.

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » June 24th, 2010, 4:57 am

I don't want to hijack this string but what motivates the gobblers in the fall?
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 24th, 2010, 9:49 am

Hey Parker,

First of all welcome to the T&TH forum. We're glad you're here and look forward to getting to know you better.

I base all of my fall calling on what I hear. I respond in like kind and try to get into a conversation with the bird(s). Yelps, clucks and the kee kee are all good in the fall.

I use a mouth call mainly because it's just more convenient for me. I will also use a slate at times and even a push pin call.

Fall is such a great time to hunt because you have an opportunity to see so many birds. We see flocks of 100+ many times.

My best to you this fall.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 24th, 2010, 9:54 am

Hey Arnie,

It's a good question and I think appropriate. I don't think there's much that motivates a mature gobbler to come to the call in the fall. I've just been very lucky whenever I've killed a really nice gobbler in the fall season. Jakes are much more likely to "come running" than gobblers are.

I see huge mixed flocks of birds here in the fall, 100+ can be quite common but most are hens, jennies and jakes. I will occasionally see a group of 3 gobblers, for whatever reason, that seem to want to hang out together. Patterning those birds is the best way to get one in your sights, in my experience, no amount of calling seems to make them want to come to you.

I really enjoy the fall hunts and look forward to them each year. That's what motivates this old gobbler.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 24th, 2010, 10:36 am

When it comes to fall gobblers, I can't think of any single thing that motivates them consistently. Food will definitely be a major draw and probably most important. Allaboutshooting is right, patterning is a strong tactic for fall gobblers. IN my many years of fall hunting I have had maybe three mature gobblers come to a call. Just last year I got into a flock of 5-7 longbeards  and the dog busted them. Usually it's a long long wait on a gobbler group to regroup, but one of these birds started calling immediately and came right to me. Several years ago I heard a bird gobbling and gobbling back got him to come. I usually pattern gobbler groups if I find them. Now "Jake and a halfs" are a different story. If you find a bunch of last spring's Jakes they will often raise cain, and be pretty receptive to calling...using kee kee or yelping. I killed a "jake in a half" last fall in Ky. by just clucking to the group. If I can find them "jake and a halfs" are my favorite target in the fall, larger but still pretty tender eating. Next I'll pick out a male poult and my last choice is an adult hen. I generally don't go out to find the old gobblers, I'll leave them till spring, but if one walks in front of my gun barrel he's toast!

Next

Return to Fall Hunting