hunting fall birds

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
singleshot

RE: hunting fall birds

Postby singleshot » May 20th, 2009, 9:36 am

for me fall season is a two hunter sport. we bust up the flock. then one takes up a safe position while the other falls back while doing a rally call. not super sporting but works well.[sm=s201.gif][;)][:D]
John 1:1 John 1:14 KJV.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 20th, 2009, 10:22 am

ORIGINAL: singleshot

for me fall season is a two hunter sport. we bust up the flock. then one takes up a safe position while the other falls back while doing a rally call. not super sporting but works well.[sm=s201.gif][;)][:D]

why not sit together & call to the scattered birds?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 20th, 2009, 12:41 pm

I like them unspooked and unsuspecting of FOWL play . Just advertise and stay on your toes ,,,ready to give a responce .

singleshot

Postby singleshot » May 20th, 2009, 6:10 pm

trkyklr thats a really good question. best i can figure it's a family fhing. going to ask. and get back to you later.

singleshot

Postby singleshot » May 23rd, 2009, 6:56 am

family tradition. the [one that is calling leaves the shotgun in the truck.] this year two shooters one caller. the falling back is self explaining. hope this ansers your question.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 28th, 2009, 6:48 am

doesn't make since to me...the hunts i've been on everyone toted their gun....& most did some calling....it sounds more like the flock is regrouping in your location....boy i can't hardly wait...nothin like a good fall hunt...turkey vocabulary out the wazOo

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 28th, 2009, 2:47 pm

[;)]
Turkeybuster

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » May 28th, 2009, 3:41 pm

I am still kicking myself in the butt for not gaoing after a flock I watched roost every afternoon I was in my deer stand and the gun season was open that week![:@]

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 2nd, 2009, 3:33 am

You will never find a better time to learn turkey talk and interactions of a flock. Even if you don't kill birds it will make you a better spring hunter, hands down. However, I want to make the kill too, there is no turkey as tasty as a young bird. I usually will try to find a group of what I call jake and a halfs (last spring's jakes/next springs 2 yr old's) or poults and pick a nice fat one. I never intentionally shoot an old hen, they are tough and the proven brood makers, but I'll say again the poults are fork cutting tender and yummy.

I hunt flocks and small groups. i am not into the bust them up crowd, but it will work. The problem is usually you can't get a good bust unless you do it off the roost or can sneak close. Hey if your going to sneak that close...shoot one. The best way I've found to bust them is to shoot up in the air when fairly close, but I'm too tight to waste shells. Oh yeah, never bust a flock of long beards and expect to call them back together..they don't give a shoot about seeing their buddy for hours. The biggest key is get in front!! A flock will only side track a little they will head straight to where they want to go feed, so learn that and get in their path. Lone birds or small groups will be more likely to come. If you looking for gobblers they will at times come some distance for company, but the old guys run in small groups and mostly keep their yaps shut. To kill old gobblers in the fall you hunt more like a deer stand. Get in their area and sit tight for some time. Course clucks and long course yelps are the call for them. If you hear a bird running long series of yelps it's probably a gobbler...hens and poults call more suptly most of the time. However, for the first 1/2 hour of daylight a flock will raise more rucous then you have ever heard in the woods, you'll hear attempted gobbles, kee kees and yealps all together, it's real cool. You hear a lot of purring and churping in flocks after that, but you'll hear a short series of yelps to. The young male polts will kee kee a lot and that will also get the jake and a halfs going, so one call you need to learn is the kee kee.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » June 2nd, 2009, 2:29 pm

I'm gonna throw out a question.

If you know where turkeys reside in the fall(say an open area in the woods), can you just sit and call like you would in the spring? I know how loud they are, and listening to them in the fall and finding them is'nt hard.

I don't know much about the kee-kee call, but I was wondering if cuts and yelps with an occasional gobble call would work.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting