tagged out!

longspur

tagged out!

Postby longspur » May 26th, 2009, 3:34 am

Well this morning at 6:19, my season ended on a high note. I will have more to tell, but the bird was 20lbs with a 9.5 beard, and 1" spurs. Off, to work. I love it when things work out. -Kevin

reeper0697

RE: tagged out!

Postby reeper0697 » May 26th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Congrats!

I am hoping things pick up here soon, they have been quiet.

longspur

Postby longspur » May 27th, 2009, 7:46 am

Here is a picture of the bird. As you can see he has a unique-ish tail, with the missing tail feather. 

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » May 27th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I think he is missing the tail feather to be able to see if any hens are checking him out from behind[;)] Awesome bird.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » May 31st, 2009, 3:01 pm

the season is over, til fall.
 I worked this tom on Fri. to no avail. He stayed out around 300 yards circling his comfort spot in the woods. He'd respond to every call I made but stayed put til the hens got there, then he went quiet. Tried him again this morn, but changed the plan on him. His 1st gobble was at 4:50am about 250 yards away. Around 5:15 I grabbed a call and the gun and started advancing towards his area. About every 30 yards I would cluck a couple times. Went around 150 yards closer meanwhile I could hear a hen talking down the hill but level with him. Then I started back towards my original position clucking on the call every now and then. Kept it low toned making him think I was leaving. Sure enough, when he hit the ground, he was on the move, but alas, made a circle and headed out behind me. I grabbed my stuff and followed him trying to get in front. Got too far out in front cause he didn't come that way. Headed back to my original spot and reset up figuring when he got done with the other hens, he'd come back to find the one which was talking earlier. About an hour later, I heard a gobble out in front of me. He was looking for the hen from the morn. I couldn't see him but did some clucking and purring. Within 5 min. he had dropped over the hill and came up closer looking for the hen that was there this morn (me). Except at 1st I thought it was a hen til it got into a clearing and I saw a 6-7" beard. Needless to say, I rushed my shot cause he was getting towards the end of my range for the gun and I missed. I was more surprised seeing the beard on him cause I wa sthinking it was a hen. This is the 1st time I have waited for 1 to come back and check out the hen that was there in the morn at daybreak.
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

Return to New York