Conclusion: Moonlight Musings

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » August 9th, 2010, 4:48 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Although I longed to be on that northern ridge, I slowly crept up the southern ridge and eased toward the crest. I was 100 or so yards from the turkey, but we were separated by a deep, steep expanse.

So maybe I was surprised when the bird ripped it after my first call and ran to the gun 30 seconds after touching the ground. At 5:40 a.m., I was standing over a flopping 3-year-old, thankful that I hadn't blown a great morning.

The gobbler had flown down to the short side of the terrain, but he had angled to the west because the ridgetop directly north and east of the roost had pretty thick foliage. Further, there was a beautiful saddle at the western edge of the draw, which gave birds easy access to the bottom, the southern ridge, or the hayfield or big timber to the west. Best, my setup was in a perfect calling position atop the long, open southern ridge.

The spot was so good that I killed a gobbler there the next spring. And actually, I should have shot two more birds there another year. But that's a sad story -- and two bad-ugly decisions -- for another time.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the ultimate guide for a great deer season.

Bobbyparks

RE: Conclusion: Moonlight Musings

Postby Bobbyparks » August 9th, 2010, 11:02 am

Good.....ah...yea....... I started to say he'd probably swan dive off the roost into your barrel right off the limb but I hate to sound like a know it all[:)][:)]
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 9th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Glad it worked out that way. Don't you just love that it is a great spot to take birds year after year? Here's to continued success there.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » August 10th, 2010, 6:34 am

I think I may have to beg Brian to take me hunting with him....that stuff never happens to me [:)]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Return to Decision Time