Comment on article: Cutt & Run Hunting Revisited

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
Everyday Hunter

Comment on article: Cutt & Run Hunting Revisited

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm

I really appreciate Brian Lovett's article on the home page of T&TH. It's called Cutt and Run Hunting Revisited. I've never thought the term "cutt and run" was a very good description. Brian's term "piddle and crawl" (actually he attributes it to David Findley) seems more fitting. I've never thought the whole idea of "running" through the turkey woods trying to raise a gobble made much sense. And I've thought the term "cutt" is pretty limiting in terms of the approach to calling.

Great article.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Bobbyparks

RE: Comment on article: Cutt & Run Hunting Revisited

Postby Bobbyparks » May 25th, 2009, 11:23 am

I thought this article was great. The guys that are killing turkeys regularly and during all conditions  know that bird behavior and circumstances of particular day determine what your hunting approach will be.  Aggressive tactics are more fun to implement but if the birds are not gobbling, you're likely doing more educating and damage than anything. 

On days they're gobbling  hard, charge in like the calvary (so to speak lol), but on days they're not, set up and fortify your scouted position and do the call and wait thing, letting the birds come by or to you.

Mr Lovett makes a great point in there can be a happy medium in that you can still move and cover ground but do it at a slower pace.

This was a topic of discussion with me and some others not long ago and this article should be read by some that seemed to think that theres only one way to hunt turkeys. This artcle will assist many in rounding out their game plaln.

Congrats to Mr Lovett on a another fine piece of work.

Bobby

PS:      Mr Lovett, I saw a photo of you and 5 other hunters and 13 turkeys from April 20th of this year in Texas hanging from the Bad Boy buggies. What am awesome shot! 

It looked like the T&TH Delta Force had been turned loose on the Rio population. I don't think I've ever seen a more impressive photo of a hunt.

Let me know where this was so I can avoid it until the turkey population recovers.[:)] 

JW

RE: Comment on article: Cutt & Run Hunting Revisited

Postby JW » July 1st, 2009, 5:04 pm

I just read this article and enjoyed it very much. Since I started hunting, I have incorporated both styles into my hunting tactics. Of course, I'm usually hunting one way when I'm sure I need to be hunting the other. Both ways have worked out for me, and both ways have sent me home busted.

I believe the main point is not to get caught up into hunting one way. Adapt to the situation at hand, expand your tactics and increase your possibility of bringing home a bird.

Great article,
Jason

Return to Magazine Feedback