Conclusion: Case of the Crooked Creek

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » August 17th, 2010, 8:55 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

I rolled my eyes and started hoofing toward the creek. I called once from a high spot overlooking the bottom, and the bird hammered back. He was somewhat farther south than he'd been the previous two days but still within 100 yards of his usual haunt.

"OK," I thought, trying to pump myself up. "He's doing the same thing for the third consecutive day."

But I played it differently that morning. I didn't call until we were as tight as possible to the gobbler. Also, we approached from a different direction -- from the west -- that morning, and we were on the other side of the small creek.

That must have made a difference, because the previously noncommittal turkey gobbled regularly on his way to the gun. After five fun-filled minutes, I pole-axed him at 30 steps.
The hunt made my earlier hesitation seem silly. I guess if I must choose between a tough turkey or the mere promise of birds elsewhere, I'll take the tough gobbler every time.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get vital information for the upcoming deer season!

Return to Decision Time