Hunting Calls with a 55 year history!

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
John Eddleman

Hunting Calls with a 55 year history!

Postby John Eddleman » September 13th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I known that I am a NEWBIE on here, but not new to callmaking.

Here a few pictures of carved hunting calls with a history dating back to the mid 50's. Back when Tom Turpin was making calls in Memphis, a local callmaker at Rosedale, Ms. by the name of Stribling was making hunting calls for new turkey hunters up and down the Ms. River. He sold them out of his Otasco store in Rosedale, Ms. These call are written up in East of the Slash by Wade S. Wineman Jr. Wade and I have been friends for 30 years and I have been making these hunting calls for 25 years. We use these calls in the hugh bottomland between the levee's. The advantage that this call has is that is extremely loud, but can make the softest tree calls. They are tuned raspy. I make one in a gobbling model with a mature gobble, and the other a cuttin and cackling model.

The call on the hugh 21 lb. , 11 inch beard, 1 1/2 inch spurred bird is a call that I made in 1987 and the bird was killed this past spring. It is a cutting and cackling model, walnut/mahogany. The other two calls were made this past year for a friend of my son in Jackson, Ms. and representative of the calls I make. The one with the notch is a Gator Gobbling Stribling that has a mahogany box and cherry lid. The other call is cuttin and cackling box in walnut with a mahogany lid.

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Hunting Calls with a 55 year history!

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 13th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Welcome to the forum John, glad you found us. I like the old style of your calls and the history behind them. Thanks for posting. [;)]

Scott
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 13th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Nice looking calls and birds.  Congrats and welcome!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 13th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Welcome to the forum John and they are very nice looking calls the one sitting on top of that gobbler definately has some character to it.
Do you sell any of the calls or just kill the big gobblers with them?
Jon [:D]
Turkeybuster

John Eddleman

Postby John Eddleman » September 14th, 2010, 1:12 am

I do sell the two types. PM me for price and waiting list time.

Return to Call Makers