hunting fall birds

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
nhtrkybstr

hunting fall birds

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 6th, 2009, 3:48 pm

I haven't hunted fall turkey much. Can I still use decoys? What's the best way to hunt toms in fall?
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Turkeybuster

RE: hunting fall birds

Postby Turkeybuster » May 6th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Check your last post here he is!
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 7th, 2009, 1:38 pm

scout , scout and scout !
pack food and water and don't over dress for the weather .
gobbler clucks , yelps , cutts and gobbles .
lots of food for turkeys? ,,,,be prepared to walk .
I CAN'T WAIT !

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm

scatter them...then call them back together....i can't wait either mark...been thinkin 'bout the fall hunt all spring

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » May 9th, 2009, 8:15 am

Better yet get ya turkey dog to do the scatterin' for ya.That's what I'm waitin for.Good Luck
canecreekcalls.com

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 9th, 2009, 8:30 am

you bet , TRKYKLR , me too!  been inspecting some new real estate during my hunts this spring .

wouldn't mind going with someone that has a dog ,,,sometime ,,,,but i have no interest in owning one myself . that may change in time though ,,,,if i live long enough and can't run the hills like i want .

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 12th, 2009, 4:29 pm

i'd have a dog tommorow...but a boxer & a 2 year old are enuf for now...i'll get a turkey dog when i can put all my time & effort into her....until then i reckon im the dog & im cool with that...if all goes well ill get to mooch a few dog hunts from a couple fellers i know this fall....[;)]

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 12th, 2009, 5:09 pm

ORIGINAL: nhtrkybstr

I haven't hunted fall turkey much. Can I still use decoys? What's the best way to hunt toms in fall?

No one responded to the part of the question about using dekes in the fall. It's probably not a good idea even if it's legal where you live. Most fall turkey hunting involves busting up a family flock, and calling them back together. They're eager to regroup and come quite readily, so you don't really need a decoy. Even if you're limiting yourself to a longbeard in the fall, I doubt the decoy will help much.

Many states permit rifle hunting in the fall, which makes a decoy a bad idea. Also, fall hunts are usually either sex, so another hunter doesn't have to identify a gobbler. He can just shoot whatever turkey he sees.

I'd leave the decoy home in the fall.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 13th, 2009, 12:47 am

steve in the fall your deke won't work well .in the fall you want to hunt turkey like you hunt deer before opening day you want to scout and try to pattern the turkeys where to go after fly down to they go to a feild to scratch , to they go to a water sorce i suppose if you wanted to if they came out to a feild at a certin time everyday you could setup two or three dekes and call to them i myself try to break up the flock then listen try to locate one find a good spot and call them to me . in the fall a good call to learn is the kee-kee run that's what little advice i have[:)] wayne

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 13th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Steve,

You are dead on about either bird being legal in fall. I had never even considered that! I'm glad you brought that up before I brought a decoy to a public hunting area!

Thank you for your advice!
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Next

Return to Fall Hunting