Any Success Yet?

rweyman

Any Success Yet?

Postby rweyman » April 20th, 2009, 5:16 am

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck so far this season. I had some good luck opening morning(with some help from my pal Mike). Mike and I went out Friday night to see if we would put some gobblers to roost for opening morning. We saw one bird roost, so we made our plans for Sat. morning. We got set up by 6am Sat. morning and the birds were allready gobbling. I waited until 6:30 before i made a couple soft yelps and the birds gobbled right away. I waited another 5 minutes before I yelped again and the birds went nuts. At 6:40 the first bird flew off the roost and landed in the field about 75 yards from our decoys. He strutted around and gobbled for 5 minutes before he started making his way to our set up. This was Mikes first Turkey hunt, so I told him to take the shot as soon as the bird made it to the jake and presented him a good shot. When his shot rang out he had shot wide right, and the bird ran about 15 yards before I could put one in the back of his head. He sure put on a good show for Mikes first Turkey hunt. Hopefully he can connect on a good bird before the season ends. The bird was a good 2 year old, 18lbs, 9 1/4" beard, and 3/4" spurs. Good luck to everyone!!

MAKEemQUIVER

RE: Any Success Yet?

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » April 30th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Congrats on a nice bird. I was lucky enough to tag out with a couple of two year olds.

rweyman

Postby rweyman » May 1st, 2009, 6:25 am

Thanks,  Congrats to you on your birds also. I'm hoping to fill my other tag before the season closes. I might just have to take some time off work[:)]

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 1st, 2009, 5:49 pm

I dont blame you, I always take some time off this time of year. It is my favorite time of year, even though the weather hasnt been the best this year. What part of Kentucky are you hunting in? I am around the Danville area it is about 45 minutes south of Lexington. Good luck to you maybe they will get rid of those hens before to long.

rweyman

Postby rweyman » May 2nd, 2009, 4:50 pm

I hunt in Campbell, & Kenton Counties, which are just south of Cincinnati. I'm actually going to look at a new farm in Gallatin Co. tomorrow, that my wifes great Aunt owns. She says they see alot of birds on the farm and no one has hunted it for 7-8 years. Hopefully no one has been trespassing and the birds are unpressured. I can't wait to get there & see! If it works out I know I will be taking that time off next week.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 7th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Sounds like you might have found a honey hole, hope it works out for you. After you get your bird make sure you do a little scouting and find me a place to hunt next year, haha just jokin good luck to you.

shaman

Postby shaman » May 11th, 2009, 1:32 am

I'm tagged out.  I got two.  One towards the end of first week and another last Tuesday. 

Angus got a shot at one during Yute season, and got a peak at one in the regular season

Moose went on his own for the first time.  He got a shot at one, but it was too far out.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Stringbender

Postby Stringbender » May 24th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Glad  your  pal  Mike  got  to  see  it  happen.  This  might  have  charged  his  battery. 

Ohio  County

Return to Kentucky