4th week

wdog

RE: 4th week

Postby wdog » May 6th, 2008, 12:05 pm

My dad's got one for 4th season also not sure about zone 5 but should be good the turkeys got pushed back this year and the weather should be nice.....good luck

RNC

Postby RNC » May 8th, 2008, 6:39 am

My brother got out yesterday for the start of his Wisconsin season. He had 3 toms and 4 hens come in, unfortunatley with that many eyes around he got picked off when the birds were 40 yards out and wasnt able to get a shot off. I hope your right Wdog and things got pushed back a bit. My group has the last season up in unit 38. One group that was in that area last week said they heard a lot of gobbling but couldnt get anything to come in. They also said they have seen a lot of turkeys in the yard at the folks cabin. The folks were there the middle of last week and had 4 hens and 2 jakes roll through the yard. Can't wait to go after them.

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 10th, 2008, 5:59 am

Wed had 1 jake come in gobbling right away in the morning, we decided to pass on him being the first day.....then not a single gobble the rest of the day! thurs had 2 gobbles on the roost from a long ways out....left the woods about 1:00,eerily quiet. Fri the woods exploded, gobbling every where, what a difference a day makes, but all we could get to come in was a jake, my son was going to shoot it this time but a hen came in and stole it! We did meet some nice Amish folks picking mushrooms who thought they ruined our hunt , but I assured them they did no such thing.So I work this weekend and go to zone 36 next week.

wdog

Postby wdog » May 11th, 2008, 8:09 am

Perfect morning saturday had birds all around but they all hung up as for today thats a different story couldnt have had worse weather.....thanks dnr for the one day to hunt

RNC

Postby RNC » May 11th, 2008, 8:11 am

Went out yesterday to do some calling for a friend. We were seeing tracks, droppings and feathers all over but nothing was gobbling. As we were walking out I yelped on a diaphram one last time and bam there wasa gobble and he was about 100 yards out. We dropped right where we were and statred calling. This old boy kept gobbling and came in on a string. He got right out in front of my friend at 20 yards and put on a show gobbling and spit/drum. Unfortunately there was wind fallen tree in the way and there was no way to get a shot. The tome eventualy headed off and my friend was offically hooked after his first run in with a tom. MY group gets to hunt the same unit starting May 21st.

wdog

Postby wdog » May 12th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Well dad got his first bird after calling in 2 seperate toms late in the afternoon with a miss and no shot finnaly got one at 7:20 only gobbled a couple times then came in silent 21.5 lbs with 7 1/2 beard not one of the big boys we were watching but he was big enough.

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 18th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Well I finally tagged one in the 5th week.I saw 6 Toms strutting and meeting up with hens right away in the morning but could not coax one into range. then all went quiet about 7:30 or so. sat sat sat ,then had one come in quiet  to the top of a rise about 70 yds @ 12:30 but would not come in any further (it was clucking at my deke) well I decide enough was enough and I snuck up to the bottom of the hill to about 15-20 yds when he stuck his head up to cluck at my deke he saw me and took off  got him at about 30-35 yds, then went hand to beak combat with him in the middle of the field.2 year old Tom ,I'll put a picture on the site. 

NastyRack

Postby NastyRack » February 6th, 2009, 3:04 am

ImageImage

gutpiler

4th week

Postby gutpiler » May 10th, 2009, 6:58 am

How's every one doing? This week i was fortunate to get one on Saturday...i had a very tough week...The ones Gobbling seemed to have hens with them and would hang up on me. friday i played cat and mouse with one from 4:55 til 9:30 I tried eveything but he would just gobble his head off and move away from me!and he had a buddie with him that would also gobble occasionally.also had hens I suspect.The ones willing to come in came in quiet. well heres the one that I got. 21# 10 1/2" beard and one 1/2" spur???

wisgobbler

Postby wisgobbler » May 10th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Nice bird Gutpiler! I was unable to get one in the 3rd season as I had multiple toms just a little bit out of range. However, I purchased an extra tag and have next week. Hopefully I have better luck in the 5th season.
Kyle

Next

Return to Wisconsin