Been hearing alot of birds this week

trkynut54

Been hearing alot of birds this week

Postby trkynut54 » May 7th, 2009, 11:37 am

We've been hearing alot of birds this past week here on public land. I got my 2 the first week so I have been taking a few rookies out to try and get them one. But the way the birds have been pounded the past week and a half, they are getting very hard to call in. They have been hanging up on us. The farm I have been hunting on for 3 days, had 30 birds last evening in the fields when it was raining. No wonder we are having a problem there, there's only 1 big gobbler and a few Jakes. Pretty hard to compete with that. Those buggers gave us the run around twice now, so I guess we'll wait until the last week to hunt him. Maybe all those hens will be nesting by then. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Turkeybuster

RE: Been hearing alot of birds this week

Postby Turkeybuster » May 7th, 2009, 2:42 pm

I hunted all week and heard the first gobble this morning and only one time must be in the wrong area.
Turkeybuster

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 8th, 2009, 11:54 am

From my experience and from what I've heard, the gobbling has been spotty in PA so far this season. I heard nothing the first week except one or two distant gobbles. The second week I hunted a different place and heard one gobbler Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I shot him today after he flew down. He gobbled 50 times on the roost from 5:25 to 5:55.

I also called in a jake on Tuesday the only bird I've heard that was gobbling on the ground.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » May 9th, 2009, 7:34 am

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

I hunted all week and heard the first gobble this morning and only one time must be in the wrong area.

You need to come up here, it's only an hours drive from Harrisburg [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 9th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the invite trkynut but I am headed for Tioga co. tomorrow night for a few days.
Yesterday I had a bird within 40 yds. and couldn't see him but it was only a matter of time before I could seal the deal he was inching his way in. Then a deer snorted 3 times and it was all over!
Today I had a bird 35 yds. and closeing just over a rise and guess what 2 deer ran up through the hollow and spooked that bird. This is the way it is going but the birds seem to be working better the last couple of days will see what happens up north. I think I am going to use this call in deer season it works better than a grunt tube.
Turkeybuster

Return to Pennsylvania