Roosting Birds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
dewey

RE: roosting birds

Postby dewey » May 1st, 2009, 4:33 pm

Everyday Hunter, thanks for the tips on putting the turkeys to bed.  I will try it next Saturday night the day before my hunting season starts.

Dewey

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » May 2nd, 2009, 5:48 am

they're getting more sleep trying to stay alive than I am trying to kill them.

Steve

I like that line, haha.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 3rd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Thanks. After I typed it, I thought "That's pretty good. Did I say that?"

I roosted a gobbler tonight. I didn't see him fly up, but I was checking out a place where I thought some pressure had maybe driven some turkeys too, and at about 8:28 one sounded off by himself. I walked another 75 or 100 yards, and hooted with my voice. He answered -- he's maybe 200-250 yards away. I'm going to check out a topo map and see if I can figure out exactly where he is. I'll be there at 5:00 AM.

Tomorrow starts the second week of our PA season. I've hunted five days and this the first gobbler I've heard that is in a place where I can work him. Wish me luck.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 3rd, 2009, 4:47 pm

Good Luck in the AM.EDH. I had the same kind of first week as you did. I guess we will be hunting in the rain tomorrow.
Turkeybuster

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 4th, 2009, 8:36 am

No luck. It was a nice morning, and the gobbler sounded off 40 or 50 times from the roost, but only a few times on the ground. I'm guessing I set up about 125 yards from him, and got him only to 60 or 70 yards. There were actually 5 or 6 birds, and the lead bird was separate from the other 4 or 5. He went into some brush where I couldn't see him and began clucking -- "Where are you? I'm here. Get over here!" Of course, I couldn't accommodate him. The others stood out there and began clucking, too. They were all gobblers, except possibly one. I didn't see any beards but I saw one round tailfan and a bunch of red heads.

I don't understand why they didn't come closer, other than possibly they have a prearranged meeting place for hens. It was under a big beech tree with a bunch of beech brush.

Later I went back to the apparent meeting spot at 10:00 and sat there calling occasionally with soft clucks and purrs, and an threw in a few yelps. I doubt they were far away, but nothing came back. I'm thinking of getting in there tomorrow with a deke.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 4th, 2009, 10:21 am

It poured rain and is still raining here. I made it until 10:30 am. then gave it up thank goodness for good raingear. I went to a new area today the birds have the woods tore up and there is a old log sideing seeded with clover in that area and there is turkey sign all over that place.
I think on a good morning you will hear birds in there but I guess the rain is going to continue here for the rest of the week. Good Luck tomorrow.
Turkeybuster

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 4th, 2009, 10:27 am

keep after him EDH! I know your gonna get one! Best of luck!

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 4th, 2009, 10:28 am

You guys can do it! Best of luck to My PA friends!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 4th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Thanks nhtrkybstr we are going to need it!
Turkeybuster

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 5th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Went out last Friday to try and roost'em.  Drove all over the trails, stopping near the high points and getting out and climbing a few hilltops..hooted my a$$ off and nothing.  Then found an interesting piece of ridge I had not considered before, drove all the way to the end of it and wouldn't you know it I bumped a hen and saw her skirt up the ridge.  Unfortunately, it was late so I really did not have a chance to back out and locate a suitable setup...even so after bumping the lone hen I was not sure if she and the Toms would be there in the morning.  So I opted not to hunt the next morning, notwithstanding the fact that it was a torrential downpour that morning.  I'll scout the same area and few others tomorrow and Friday, then go out Saturday morning....hey at least i finally saw a bird!!!! [:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies