Early bird catches the worm

Everyday Hunter

RE: Early bird catches the worm

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 5th, 2009, 6:07 am

Trying to fix the photos for you guys...

Steve

When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » May 5th, 2009, 10:04 am

Thanks Steve,

I finally got mine resized and posted it on the D&DH forum and was going to edit and post it on this one but you beat me to it. Hows the hunting in your neck of the woods?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 5th, 2009, 10:18 am

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

Thanks Steve,

I finally got mine resized and posted it on the D&DH forum and was going to edit and post it on this one but you beat me to it. Hows the hunting in your neck of the woods?

You're welcome.

Last week the hunting was slow, at least thru Thursday. I couldn't hunt Friday and Saturday. Yesterday I called in 6 birds, mostly gobblers I think, but the closest they would come was 60-70 yards. I think they have a strutting area just above where they came to, and I was calling them slightly downhill.

Today they gobbled on the roost, and I heard hens, but after flydown everything was silent until about 8:00 when a jake off to my left began gobbling. I called him in to about 50 yards, but he must have been spooked by the dekes. He began putting and walked off very fast. Before that a hen flew over me at treetop height. Don't know what's up with that. I suppose it could have been this jake, but I doubt it because I heard one gobbling across the road. I think he came from there.

After the jake left I looked for a way to get to the spot I think is where they meet up with the hens. I found the route I should take to get there, and I'll probably have to get in there around 4:30 to make sure I don't bust them, because I'll be pretty close -- maybe as close as 50 yards.

For two days they have been roosted in the same place, and I see no reason why they should not be there tomorrow. Of course, these are turkeys, and that means I'm probably wrong.[:)]  We'll see what happens. Even though I'm not having much luck, this is way better than last week.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » May 5th, 2009, 2:03 pm

EverydayHunter,
  Sorry, I didn't realise it was that big. Guess I'll go in and resize them myself too.
  Headed out tomorrow morn for a few hours. Spotted a nice tom in the area last night, approx 10" beard. Go up and try for him in the morn. See if I can stir him up.
  Stormy
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » May 6th, 2009, 2:47 am

Steve,

Sounds like you are getting some action. Its just a matter of time until you get a crack at one of those big boys. Keep us updated and best of luck to you.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 6th, 2009, 8:56 am

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

Steve,

Sounds like you are getting some action. Its just a matter of time until you get a crack at one of those big boys. Keep us updated and best of luck to you.

I don't think this bird is especially difficult, but the spot he's in is a tough one. For the last two days he was roosted in the same place with hens about 100 yards away. I heard them yesterday. Both days I tried calling them downhill, and succeeded on Monday, but they wouldn't come closer than 60 yards. Today I risked bumping them off the roost. I went in early, and climbed the hill within about 50 yards of the roost site. It took me a half hour to climb about 150 yards because it wasn't easy going in the dark in the brush. One gobbled at 5:15, and he was about 250 yards up the hill and off to my left. So I advanced another 100 yards.

He gobbled only 8 times on the roost. I heard him fly down, and then all was silent. I stayed put, figuring the loggers on my uncle's land would drive the skidder up the hill at 8:00 and possibly push them my direction. That's what happened. I saw two birds coming across the hillside about 150 yards above me. They came back down into the same area they've been roosting in. They answered a few of my yelps, but wouldn't come in.

I'm betting they'll be back at the Monday-Tuesday roost site tomorrow, so I'm coming in from a different direction. It's actually shorter and will put me right above them, but the trail is almost invisible in the dark. I picked out a tree this morning, but it will be tough to walk directly to the spot. I'll need a little luck, but I'm overdue in that department.

I have to be out of the woods tomorrow by 9:00 due to other responsibilities. But this will be a good day for a half-morning hunt. If my bet is correct, I should see them fly down. Early to bed tonight, and leave the house by 4:00 for a long walk in the dark.

Steve

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » May 6th, 2009, 12:20 pm

EverydayHunter, don't you love those long walks in the dark to get to where you're going before first light?  Did that last week on Sunday. Left the house 15 minutes earlier than I normally do to be situated by 5am. It's  a 3/4 mile walk back thru the fields and woods to get to this spot on top of the hill. Got in there carrying all my stuff, got set up, and waited for daylight. I was looking forward to hearing that 1st gobble of the morn.
   About the time there was enough light to see, I made out a  figure walking beside me about 35 yards away. Twice I said to him "there is a hunter here". I could see he couldn't see me so I popped on my light. Sure took him by surprize. Meanwhile, he didn't leave, he had to come over and talk. So there went my being there in the dark to be there at 1st light. Needless to say, with him trapzing around after 1st light, the morning was a bust. Best part, he said well I'll go over here and swing around and hunt a certain patch. I said, no you won't, don't you see my posted signs along the lines? Didn't hear any gobbles or clucks that morn. Highlite of the morning was watching a doe circle my decoy and watching her reaction everytime I clucked on the call. She studied that for about 15 minutes before leaving.
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » May 9th, 2009, 6:05 am

Steve,

Lets hear some details! (Hopefully with success in it)

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 11th, 2009, 7:49 am

Saw one this morning strutting in the exact fiels where i was going to go huntig. I was to tired though and didnt feel good the day before so i didnt go out[8|]. OOPS![:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Previous

Return to New York