Wisconsin turkeys, Confused! help please

WIhunter

Wisconsin turkeys, Confused! help please

Postby WIhunter » May 3rd, 2009, 4:08 pm

Im just wondering for anyone that can give advice, Ive been hunting turkeys for 6 years now ever since i was 12 and i went up scouting over the weekend.  Normally i get the second period to hunt but this year i got 4th, and up north both mornings i heard NO gobbling anywhere.  I dont know if the turkeys are behind normal schedule or what the deal is, but i start hunting on Wed and im hopin they will be gobbling.  Also two weeks ago my Grandpa was up for the weekend and heard no gobbling. Any advice would help me, Thanks guys

gutpiler

RE: Wisconsin turkeys, Confused! help please

Postby gutpiler » May 3rd, 2009, 8:26 pm

glad you found the wis forum, all I can say is get out there and listen....oh and by the way let me know how things go because i'm calling for a guy up north week 5 unit 7. i'd be real interested in what you have to say.week 4 I have my own tag in unit 5.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 4th, 2009, 3:15 am

wi hunter here a few years ago in my area we were having a problem with toms gobbleing on the roost then shutting uphen they hit the ground some guys blame cyoates some hunting pressure i got one that year and the only way i did it was i heard him dragging his wings on the ground when he fanned out my advice to you if you know there are turkeys in the area and they're not gobbleing pick up on looking and listening they may be coming in any way[:)]wayne

WIhunter

Postby WIhunter » May 4th, 2009, 11:13 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Anymore advice would still help
[right]Brandon[/right]

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 4th, 2009, 7:09 pm

thats excellent advice from grizzly.....god knows we have alot of predators, do you have a wolf pack in the area? I don't think these cold mornings we've been having are helping with the gobbling either...like he said if you're confident there are turkeys in the area they are still going about their business . good luck on weds.

WIhunter

Postby WIhunter » May 5th, 2009, 6:42 am

Thanks for the advice. There are no wolf packs just coyotes. I kow they are there because we see them in the fields, but they're just not vocal. it also was 34 on sat. morning. Ill post up how it went
[right]Brandon[/right]

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » May 10th, 2009, 1:40 am

I feel they are way behind schedule! I just got back from southern MN/WI border hunt the hens are moving alot during the day & not sitting on eggs yet. It's to cold they had 26 for a low in Houston MN last Saturday AM. Everything is running late, I am hunting again last season in zone 3...

I will agree w/the coyote issue. I camped on a ridge top in the middle of farm country for miles in Houston Cty. 5 nights, full moon on Fri/Sat ?  There were at least 2/3 different packs howling at night w/several adults & kits, even the farm dogs w/join in. Just great when your trying to sleep outside on a #$%& bed & you get up @ 3:30 am. Trappers are far and few between these days...  

Unless they are not there period, they'll show up sit & listen/watch... 
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » May 14th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Best thing to do is keep putting time in the woods listening for gobbling birds. Excuses are the number one reason for tag soup. April and May in Wisconsin birds are breeding. Weather dosen't mean anything it all goes by daylight. Some times they don't gobble much for 2 or 3 days then the next day they are gobbling like mad and there is suicidel birds everywheres. Turkeys go hot and cold but being in the woods listening is best policy.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » July 21st, 2009, 1:28 pm

I know it's kind of late to answer on this but I think it was just to cold yet. The birds where still in there winter flocks and not ready to do anything then if you what until the weather warmed up the turkeys were back to there regular rutine agian.
Alex

Return to Wisconsin