Where are the Michiganders

multibeard

Where are the Michiganders

Postby multibeard » May 4th, 2008, 4:30 am

There has to be more Michiganders on here other than Fan Club and I.

Tomorrow morning starts the fun for mr. good old 234 hunt. No big pressure to get it done with the one week hunts.

dmcianfa

RE: Where are the Michiganders

Postby dmcianfa » May 9th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Hey Hey Hey,

The yooper is checking in under fellow michiganders.  Can't beat the birds up here fellas! LOL  Good to see some of us are in the forum.  Welcome fellas.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » June 1st, 2008, 11:24 am

Sorry fellas I'm a Hoosier, but I did tag a tom for myself and guided a first timer to another tom and this was in Osceola co. Thanks for a great time, and there was a lot of gobbles and aggressive hens to argue with, but when it came down to it, spot, stalk, and intercept was what smoked them birds.
                        GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE
                                         L.K.Leslie

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » March 31st, 2009, 11:23 am

Im on here now! Looking forward to my first year in the woods for turkey this spring, getting pretty excited! Im in SE MI St. Clair County more specifically and hunt in St. Clair County as well!

19rabbit52

Postby 19rabbit52 » April 29th, 2009, 2:17 pm

New to this forum, and thought I would say Hi. I am from Michigan. Started turkey hunting in 2004 and shot my 3rd. bird Monday.

stra8shooter

Postby stra8shooter » May 1st, 2009, 4:26 pm

congrats on your bird! hope it was a great hunt, tell us a little more about it. I've been doing my time so far down to kentucky. i haven't pulled the trigger yet but come close twice, first time to many fallen trees in the way. second time found me on my hands and knees trying to sneek in for a closer look, when i looked up ther he was about 20ft. lookin at me! goooone! feelin like a fool again!  welcome to turkey hunting the most hummbling moment, you gotta be there.
         mike

19rabbit52

Postby 19rabbit52 » May 2nd, 2009, 2:58 pm

stra8shooter-good to hear from you and good luck in Kentucky. I hunted there in Magoffin county a few years ago. Didn't get one there but blame it on my inexperience. This year I hunted an area full of toms.  I don't think any birds ever get killed there and was unsuccessful at calling them over to where I can hunt. After 5 days of listening to 8 to 10 toms gobble every morning(on roost) I gave up here and went to a farm where 2 friends and myself killed toms last year(originally planned on staying out of there this year). Before daylight heard 3 birds gooble. Latter in morning saw a few hens and saw a nice tom strutting about 120 yards away and another hunkered down about 90 yards away with his feathers sort of puffed out. Tried calling and they never responded and finally wandered off. So did I. Skipped hunting there the next day and went back on a Monday morning, set up in a pot hole in northeast corner of field with the bottom of 2 hills disecting the field 40 yards in front of me (I already knew the birds like to travel this low spot unseen. Set up in dark and a gobbler  was roosted   on edge of field(new location to me). I was busted before daylight. At 6:00 bird started gobbling, but it was choked up and funny sounding. I could see him 175 yds. across field. Finally he hopped off limb straight down instead of flying out into  field(and disappeared in brush). Stayed where I was and called every once in awhile. After a couple hours birds stated filtering into field and I noticed 2 toms. I quit calling completely and watched(12 to 14 birds). Finally 4 hens with a tom sort of circleing them worked over my way. Finally the tom swung out in front of me and I shot once with my 835(38 paces). Didn't weigh him but was a hefty bird with 1 inch spurs and a little over 9 inch beard. Hope this wasn't too long.   Randy

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 2nd, 2009, 3:58 pm

evening fellers ,,,WELCOME TO  THE FORUM

congrat's on your success RABBIT52

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 4th, 2009, 4:55 am

Howdy Boys-

Just got back from Missouri last night (5-3) where I tagged 2 gobblers. I'll post pics and stories in the Missouri forum.

Now I'm ready to get after those Michigan birds!
Stay tuned.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

stra8shooter

Postby stra8shooter » May 6th, 2009, 5:00 pm

OK! 19rabbits52 congrats on your bird!!! it's alway's a thrill to bring home the turkey bacon.great story .  glad you connected. my misgivings allow me to now continue to start mich. hunting this weekend. kentucky is over for me, no bird . a lot of great memories,to this day still can't sit in the right spot @ the right time.

well off to big rapids for the weekend maybe i'll be luckier over there,if not it's over to the thumb, if that sucks its up to the UP. if that don't work i,ll hang it up till next year and go fishing.

mike

Next

Return to Michigan