Decoys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
swpatrkyhunter

RE: decoys

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 15th, 2009, 9:48 pm

That all depends on the bird you got coming in. A boss Gobbler will come in to chase off a jake if you have it positioned faceing the hen decoy. Sometimes the lesser toms will do the same and some jakes will too.

bubbalp

Postby bubbalp » January 16th, 2009, 3:42 am

Treeroaster --Good advice, got a hen I sprayed orange band about half inch around her neck to show others she is not a live bird and the toms haven't stopped comming in. I set out my decoys 20-25 yards out in front just to the left and with the Tommy on my side to the left of the hens. If I use just the hens I use just two and call every 10-15 mins until I get a gobble and put dpwn the call. Got a 20plus in 2008 by doing this...Good Safe Hunting..Bubbalp 

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » January 16th, 2009, 9:45 am

I have three, two hen and a jake. I set them up somewhere that a tom can see them when he gets close to me when I'm calling. I set up maybe twenty yards away and have the dekes in an area that is a little open. both birds I called in last year came right to the decoys.After I see or hear the bird and know he's close I'll let him dictate how much I call, If I call him and he's coming fast I'll let the decoys do the work.

JPH

Postby JPH » April 26th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Decoys can be tricky. They provide a visual stimulation in addition to your calling which can cause a gobbler to commit to your set-up. On the other hand, a "hen" that refuses to come to a mature gobbler is not natural. Gobblers will often hang up when they see decoys or even go the other way. IMO, this is nothing new, it is just that some days decoys are not what the toms want.

Personally, I do not like multiple decoy set-ups. I use a single hen. My theory goes something like this: Imagine yourself as a single guy, in his prime, looking for a little action. You walk into a bar and have two options. On one end of the bar is a group of attractive women laughing it up with a handsome younger man. On the other end of the bar is a lonely looking blond, all by herself, nursing a drink. Where are you going to go first.

I think the single hen is less threatening to shy gobblers.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 26th, 2009, 12:48 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Decoys can be tricky. They provide a visual stimulation in addition to your calling which can cause a gobbler to commit to your set-up. On the other hand, a "hen" that refuses to come to a mature gobbler is not natural. Gobblers will often hang up when they see decoys or even go the other way. IMO, this is nothing new, it is just that some days decoys are not what the toms want.

Personally, I do not like multiple decoy set-ups. I use a single hen. My theory goes something like this: Imagine yourself as a single guy, in his prime, looking for a little action. You walk into a bar and have two options. On one end of the bar is a group of attractive women laughing it up with a handsome younger man. On the other end of the bar is a lonely looking blond, all by herself, nursing a drink. Where are you going to go first.

JPH, it sounds like you're not the dominant gobbler! [:D] (Just kidding.)

Actually, what makes sense of your strategy is that there is only one dominant gobbler, so your chances are much better with a sub-dominant gobbler. He might be just as big as the boss, but not as big a risk-taker. Good luck.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

JPH

Postby JPH » April 26th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Actually, my thinking is that the lack of risk taking is what allows a gobbler to live long enough to become dominant. Since I gave up my jake and second hen, the spurs on the turkeys I kill have gotten longer on average.

I know a lot of very good turkey hunters who use jakes with a lot of success. I am just not one of them. Shrug.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » April 27th, 2009, 3:48 am

I also almost always go with the single hen set up for this very reason. Another thing that I have noticed is that a hen with a gobbler in tow is more likely to come in and put a molly whoppin on my single hen, because it's also less threating situation for her also.  She's not going to come into a flock and try to pick a fight, but when she's sees a hen standing alone it's on.

Several of the birds I've killed or called in for other people have come in following a hen,  who's getting ready thump my decoy.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 27th, 2009, 5:01 am

I haven't used decoys for a few years, but when I did, I'd place a single hen facing me at the edge of the woods and a jake decoy about 10 feet behind.  I used just a single hen before and would often have gobblers strut as soon as they saw the decoy at the edge of my range.  They kept expecting the hen to come to them.

When I added a jake to the hen, I got many more close encounters from gobblers coming right in to kick the jake's butt.  I think just as a lone hen gets a strong reaction from a mature gobbler, a jake trailing a hen (especially a hen that has recently laid out some seductive calls) gets a stronger reaction from a gobbler.  He is not about to stand around and let some 90 pound weakling run off with a willing hot babe.

If you have at least a dozen(!) mature gobblers together out in a field this time of year, it doesn't sound like the flock has broken up much yet.  When they do, the hunting action should get pretty heavy fairly fast. I've seen 3 gobblers traveling together near the peak of breeding period before, but the only time I've seen that many gobblers together was in winter.  They usually can't stand to be around each other much when the hens want to play.

I also had some negative responses from gobblers after seeing the decoys & have not used them for the last few years because of that. 

A good friend & hunting buddy (who has the world slam) who only uses a jake decoy.  When gobblers come to hen calls and only find a jake, they go into a fit of rage. He too, has had some turn away from dekes.

Good Luck.

Share pictures when you get him.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » April 27th, 2009, 11:38 am

I wanted to thank everyone for the awsome feedback! It had not dawned on me that the flocks I've been watching had not broken up! I really appriciate the responses! I'm fairly new to turkey hunting. I shot my first bird 3 years ago. A thirteen lb. Jake. I had one down year, and last year shot a 19.5 lb 9.5 inch longbeard! I am totally addicted to this! My son is equally hooked! Even though he did'nt get his bird this weekend, he had lots of action seeing at least 20 toms and jakes in 2 days! Seeing the look on his face, the excitement the passion, I could'nt have been more proud! He never got down or upset! He's only 8, and had a heck of a time! Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help me out!   

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » April 27th, 2009, 4:31 pm

my friend has a cousin in virginia and he has a couple grand slams and he always put the decoys right at the end of his feet does anybody have an opinion on why he does that? pm me

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies