just under 3 weeks to go

OakRoadHunter

just under 3 weeks to go

Postby OakRoadHunter » April 13th, 2009, 5:40 am

The birds in my area are really in the swing of things now. Saw 4 toms out this past weekend in two seprate groups, each group with about 10 hens.
How have things been looking else where in the state?
Calling 'um up close

bhw

RE: just under 3 weeks to go

Postby bhw » April 13th, 2009, 5:46 am

It's getting close!  Toms are gobbling hard and strutting with hens. Looking forward to youth season and then, of course, the big opener!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 13th, 2009, 7:34 am

I was home from college yesterday and I snuck out in the woods at daylight to listen and watch. Man there was turkeys everywhere. I heard at least 7 different birds gobbling and I saw 4 longbeards a few jakes and some hens. I was about 100 yards away watching through my binoculars. It was a great confidence booster for opening day. A few weeks ago I was scouting on the other property that I hunt and I had very similar results. I cannot wait until may 1st!!!!!!! Unfortunately I am stuck here in Buffalo at school and work until opening weekend. Good luck to everyone!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » April 15th, 2009, 3:35 pm

I have seen them out strutting the past few weeks, tonight as we were shutting down the maple syrup making they were gobbling like crazy, it got me really excited for May 1st!!!!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 20th, 2009, 2:49 am

four more days boys!!!!!!!!!!!![:D] wishing all you n.y. boys good luck and great hunting look forward to hearing your great storys of success

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 20th, 2009, 12:19 pm

The anticipation is killing me! I cannot wait to get out there! Good luck to you lucky guys that get to go out on the youth hunt.  I am envious for sure! I will be out there in 10 days!

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 21st, 2009, 9:38 am

Me and my dad went out to listen. As we got to the farm we heard one gobble! We got closer and it just kept gobbling and gobbling and gobbling and... well you get the idea. We got to within 100yds and then just stopped. it gobbled probably 60 times. Then it flew down and still gobbled. it didnt have any hens with it and surprisingly, neither do any of the other gobblers, all the hens are still together and the gobblers are in groups. just yesterday me and my dad were sitting in the car and saw a HUGE Gobbler, had probably 11 or 12 inch beard and was probably 25lbs. it and another gobbler came out with 3 hens right near a park on the end of Honeoye Lake in Honeoye, NY. They are living in a TINY woodlot that nobody can hunt with a gun, only possibly with a bow if the people within 500ft gave permission.[8|] Cant WAIT for MAy 1st, it is going to be AWESOMEEEE!!!!!!![:)][:)][:)] Hope everybody has  lots of luck.[:)]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 22nd, 2009, 10:15 am

Does anybody hunt in the Pultny area, near the keuka are? just wondering because my friend and hid dad hunt there sometimes and one youth season they had 2 MONSTER GOBBLERS come in strutting but they wouldnt cross the ravine! His dad also took a big jake with a 5inch beard and then an 18lb 2 year old gobbler with a 9inch beard in the first 2 days of the season. Thanks[:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to New York