How many IN. turkey hunters out there

jfpitt

RE: How many IN. turkey hunters out there

Postby jfpitt » April 13th, 2009, 11:28 am

Perry County here. I live in the middle of Hoosier National Forest and every time I try to hunt public ground, another "hunter" seems to mess it up.

Plenty of hunting going on in Southern Indiana for sure. I now have to hunt private land and even then people have a bad tendency to trespass. I get tired of it. I know it isn't most hunters, but there are quite a few with no respect for other hunters or property lines.

On a lighter note. I have the itch. Bad. I am hunting some private ground this year that does not border any public land at all. Hopefully I can have a nice relaxing hunt without some dufus hooting every 5 minutes all day long.

So, count 3 here. One hunting buddy and one son. Maybe a daughter this year too, we'll see.

Yea, I know it is a whiny post, but doesn't anyone else ever get tired of having their hunt messed up? 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » April 16th, 2009, 2:53 pm

I live in Putnam County, and have had guided hunts with Shawn Brown at Royal Flush several years. Shawn is in Parke County and man, he has a lot of birds there.

No private ground to hunt though, so my buddy and I will try some state ground and hope for the best. It`s tough though, so many people walking around nearly all day. Guys in love with their calling that call too loud and too much.

Oh well, that`s why it`s called hunting I guess.

Good luck all.

JFPittJR

Postby JFPittJR » April 22nd, 2009, 9:28 am

I used to live in Rockville (Parke Co.). Loads of turkeys there for sure.
I miss them.

Uncle Harley

Postby Uncle Harley » June 26th, 2009, 2:38 pm

This will be my first time this fall. I'm in Kendallville, Noble County. I saw several at Pidgeon River FWA at Mongo last fall while scouting for geese.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 26th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Welcome Harley.  I am from just south of near Ari.  Those Pidgeon River birds have plenty of experience.  The first wild turkey I ever saw was on that property.  Our beagles pushed him by me while running a rabbit.  Good luck to you, I think that area will be achery only.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Uncle Harley

Postby Uncle Harley » June 27th, 2009, 11:10 am

Thanks Steve. I'm familiar with Ari, I'm originally from Huntertown. I've been seeing more & more birds around here all the time. Several around LaOtto & Avilla on my way to work in FW. This spring while I was on the range at PRFWA I had a turkey walk right across the range while I was shooting! Extremely dumb or deaf I guess.

John

Postby John » July 23rd, 2009, 1:36 pm

I live in Knox but hunt in Gibson county. Its my second year, took my first bird after only three trips last year. But I should after seeing as many as 75 birds a one time while I was farming last year in the spring.
Hooked on turkeys forever!!!
John

Hargis

Postby Hargis » February 22nd, 2010, 4:12 am

Hello fellow Hoosiers. I'm from Howe (LaGrange Co.) which is located on the IN/MI border. This will be my 3rd year turkey hunting so I'm still learning a lot about this sport. I harvested my first turkey last spring (on public land) and can't wait to get back out. I'm hunting in MI this year as well as IN.

AaronS

Postby AaronS » March 17th, 2010, 6:33 am

I live in Dubois County and hunt Dubois, Crawford, and Spencer Counties. Both private and public. Been chasing turkeys for 20 to 25 years, but success has been limited. [:)] Very excited about the upcoming season. I see a nice flock almost every morning on the way to work.

mwhunley

Postby mwhunley » March 20th, 2010, 6:47 am

Just wanted to say hello to the fellow hunters in the Hoosier state.  I am from Montgomery Co, southeast of Crawfordsville.  Do most of my hunting in Montgomery Co., but also do a little in Putnam Co., when I get time.  Work as a firefighter/paramedic at Purdue and part-time town marshal in my town of Ladoga.  Been hunting, fishing and trapping for over 35 years, but still learning.  Started turkey hunting about 6 years ago.  Had to learn the hard way, as my father did not turkey hunt.  Since starting, I have gotten my older brother addicted to the turkey hunting.  Also have my 18 year old daughter interested in calling turkeys, however she does not like guns so she will not hunt, but enjoys calling for me.  Its great being able to spend time outdoors with the kids.  Have been trying to talk the wife into hunting, but no luck as of yet.

PreviousNext

Return to Indiana