Turkey on roost

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
TenneesseTurkey

Turkey on roost

Postby TenneesseTurkey » April 4th, 2009, 3:21 pm

if you spook a bird off roost will it return to same tree/area thanks for help?

allaboutshooting

RE: Turkey on roost

Postby allaboutshooting » April 4th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Hey Robert,

Welcome to the T&TH site. It's a great place and I know you'll enjoy it here.

You've asked a very good question. I have bumped a bird off the roost when walking in the woods, very early, in the near dark and I'm sure he did not know what I was but just decided to get out of there. If I'm correct in that assumption and that's all that it is, there's no reason he would not roost in that tree again. I've certainly seen them roost in the same area after being bumped.

I think we all make assumptions about turkey behavior based on the experiences we've had. There may be others who've had very different experiences than I've had and maybe they'll share those with all of us.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 5th, 2009, 6:52 am

Whatever factored into the turkeys selecting the trees to roost in to begin with will draw them back in the future. They may not roost there again that night, but a good roost will remain that way despite the occasional disturbance.

Where I hunt in Missouri, they like to roost in the cottonwoods along the creek. I've bumped many a bird there over the years trying to gain ground on gobbling toms and it is still their preferred area. Here in Michigan they like tall pines for shelter from the elements, especially in late fall and winter. I've flushed them a few times unintentionally while still hunting for deer and it's still their favorite roost area.

GO STATE !!!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » April 5th, 2009, 1:36 pm

These guys give very sound advice.

The only thing I would add to this is, be careful not to bump them anymore. That could change their perspective that this is a good roost, and force them to move on to somewhere that that deem safer.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 6th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Theres an area by my Mom and Dads that has had Turkeys roosting there for the last 15 years. Over the years I have bumped a bird or two off the roost and they come back to the same area every night.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » April 6th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Great question!! In my opinion, I think it depends on the species of bird. I have seen Rio's that will return to the same roost but I have never witnessed a Merriam to do that. Not sure about any other species, but these two I have spooked off the roost several times...LOL.
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

shaman

Postby shaman » April 7th, 2009, 1:59 am

My flocks move roosts frequently, usually as the weather changes.    Let's say you bump a flock off the roost just ahead of a warm front.   They may not be back on that roost the next night, but by the time the next warm front comes through, they'll be back.

On the other hand, and this goes more for public land,  if you keep knocking those birds off a given roost they will eventually move on.  A couple of bumps aren't going to seriously affect them, but if you keep scaring them they will move away and stay away for some time.  I had this happen one year when turkeys took to roosting on one of my ladder stands.  It took about 4 times, knocking birds off before they stayed away permanently.  You have no idea how scary it is to come up a ladder and have birds sitting on your seat and  on the hand rail and all bust at the same time.  I thought I was gonna die! You also have no idea how much of a mess turkeys will make on your ladder stand if they roost on it-- BLEEECH!

The bird never came back to roost on that ladder that year, nor any year thereafter. Furthermore, I have half a dozen of these ladder stands on the property and the turkeys have never roosted on any other ladder stand since, going on 8 years.  I think the turkeys sent around a memo.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » April 27th, 2009, 4:27 pm

hey i was going to ask the same question thanks for the answer.

Return to Strategies