Ohio Spring Scouting

OHhunter

RE: Ohio Spring Scouting

Postby OHhunter » March 29th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Didn't make it out this weekend, I plan on going out a couple days this week to check out some other spots.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

sailfish

Postby sailfish » March 31st, 2009, 11:33 am

Are you close to Kettering? Probably within an hour aren't you?

I may be heading there Sunday. It's looking like I might.

I'll know for sure Saturday 11:59 p.m.

Apparently your season opens the 20th?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 5th, 2009, 6:43 am

i arrived at my favorite parking lot as it was getting light . birds gobbling in all directions from there this morning. many were jakes . so i loaded the .223 , stuffed my pockets with grub and some water , strapped my cushion to my waist and headed for the hills . once i reached the top of the break , i stood quietly for 15-20 minutes just listening. the groups of birds i had heard earlier had shut down the gobbling but occassionally i could hear a gobbler yelping way down the holler . i stayed on top of the break in order to hear from both sides of the ridge . stopped twice in my trek out the ridge just to sit on a log and listen . decided  to circle my way back toward the truck around 10:30 , which took me through a new part of the area , new to me anyhow. then this gobbler started up . sometimes it sounded like there were two . not sure if they got started by the crows and just continued on after the crows left , ,,,at any rate , the bird doing most ,if not all the gobbling was still going at it at 11:00. i plan on being close to that same area next saturday around the same time ,,,maybe he'll show a pattern of late morning gobbling.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » April 9th, 2009, 6:12 am

ORIGINAL: sailfish

Are you close to Kettering? Probably within an hour aren't you?

I may be heading there Sunday. It's looking like I might.

I'll know for sure Saturday 11:59 p.m.

Apparently your season opens the 20th?

Did you make the trip to kettering, I'm about 1.5 hours away.  Just head east on 35.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 11th, 2009, 7:44 am

so i drove all the way to paintcreek to check out an area on the public hunting portion . not one dribble of sign .
 from there i drove up by the firetower in pike state forest . what little sign i found , looked like it was made in early fall.
disappointed on both places .
 i wanted to try and secure some good sign for the youth season next week . the father and son i'll be helping will have to drive south , unless the father can get us written permission on some private ground close to where he lives .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 11th, 2009, 11:19 am

as mentioned in my previous post , i went for a long walk out a ridgetop road [ with an iron gate ] . there were several 'shroom hunters already in there. not a problem . but i am astonished at the fact there was not one speck of sign . i realize it rained yesterday , but there wasn't even old sign . what i did find was made last fall or maybe in the mid-winter .
i did some archery hunting in there in the late '90s and the place was tore up good by the turkeys.
oh well , i'll just have to go to some other part of the state forest . they are there somewhere.
 by the way , those 'shroom hunters were pickin' up some black ones .

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » April 11th, 2009, 11:34 am

Drove down to Scioto County to private ground I hunt down there, It looked pretty good, lots of tracks and strut marks in the logging roads, also listended to several birds gobbling on the roost.  Got home and decided to go look for some shrooms, and stubbled on to a couple longbeards struttin in a woods road.  That got me excited, I've never seen or herd turkeys in this area,  sat and listened and herd at least 3 more birds gobbling around the hillside.  Might have to give it a shot next week. 

Hey Mark, good luck on your youth hunt.  This is the first season in a longtime I haven't taken any kids out.
Brad

-Rob Keck

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » April 16th, 2009, 9:33 am

Spent most of yesterday morning listen and trying to figure out some good set ups on some pickway county birds, they can be tough to hunt with the sparse patches of woods and huge crop fields. 

Went back down to scioto county this morning herd several birds, a couple were pretty close, so I aborted the mushroom hunting I had plan on doing down there.  Didn't want to spook any them.
Brad

-Rob Keck

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 18th, 2009, 12:47 pm

the young man kept saying '' i think the turkeys are running from us ''. after hearing many birds , and arguments with hens and jakes i told the young man ,'' they are not running from us ,,,they are laughing at me ''

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » April 20th, 2009, 11:56 am

im from stark county oh and i just shot the first bird of my season yester day at 6:30. 9 inch beard,1 inch spurs and weighed 22 lbs. love the piggy back mouth call

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio