Conclusion: Elysium

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » December 22nd, 2010, 9:13 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

My friend had more experience than I did, so I deferred to him. Using big white oaks to shield our movements, we slipped to the field's halfway point, found a small opening in the timber and set up.

"Have you ever noticed how turkeys rarely walk from one end of a field to another?" my friend whispered. "Many times, they'll duck into the woods at a certain point, and this looks as good as any."

And that's exactly what happened. As the hens slowly came into view, one turned and walked straight at us. Within a minute, a half-dozen turkeys were five steps away. Then the gobbler appeared, looked at his hens and turned to follow his harem. When he was at 35 steps, my friend cutt, and a loud boom cut the heavy morning air.

OK, I cheated on this one. My friend was the great Harold Knight, and he was showing a young turkey hunting writer the ropes. Back then, I never would have killed that bird on my own. I was just honored to have watched a legend make a great decision.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get the greatest deer hunting shot simulator ever created.

shad309

RE: Conclusion: Elysium

Postby shad309 » December 22nd, 2010, 9:59 am

I might have taken his advice too....... [:D]

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 22nd, 2010, 12:04 pm

Yep those large open field birds are very noted for that.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 13th, 2011, 5:01 pm

One thing that I didn't consider when thinking about getting closer was the ability to get the hens fired up. If you could get one mad at you they would pull that gobbler over to you.

Return to Decision Time