Woodland Legends

charlie elk

Woodland Legends

Postby charlie elk » January 17th, 2011, 5:35 pm

During hard cold winters I have heard tales of turkeys freezing to death on their roosts with whole flocks then falling dead to the ground beneath the roost tree. [:(]
As much as I go out during the winter I have never come across this legendary turkey kill.  Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
 Has anyone else seen this?
If it happens this could be the winter. 25 below is suppose to be coming this Friday.  If anyone finds a mass turkey freeze off please take a picture and post it here.  I will remain skeptical until then. [8|]
Or if you have any other legends post em here. 
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

RE: Woodland Legends

Postby kygobbler » January 18th, 2011, 3:46 am

I've heard the similir stories but they also had freezing rain in it. From what I've heard is that the rain would freeze on the turkeys wings so they cant open them. If the stories are true I would figure it would happen up there in the northern states. Like you said Charlie if anybody has pictures I would like to see if its true or not. Hey Charlie, how did the turkey feathers do with picking that vizsla pup?

charlie elk

RE: Woodland Legends

Postby charlie elk » January 18th, 2011, 4:14 am

There are several versions of this one and it is always someone has heard from so and so.  Legends make for lively barbershop talk.  [;)]  When I hear about case supposedly actually happening this year I will seek out proof.  Any excuse to be in the woods.

My future pup just turned 4 weeks old on the 15th so I haven't bee able to test the feathers in the shirt cuff idea yet.  Look for more on that first part of Feb.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin