Tom talk

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
1Morgan

Tom talk

Postby 1Morgan » January 19th, 2011, 7:51 am

Who uses "Tom talk?" Not gobbling, the other noises a tom makes. Can you describe them for us and when is it best to use "Tom talk?"
South Carolina Low Country

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Tom talk

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 19th, 2011, 9:23 am

Most of my Tom Talk I use in the fall, but I do use some in the spring. If I have a gobbler that hangs up or refuses to budge from his strut zone and is answering your calls, I'll throw a few jake yelps and clucks in after I do some excided cutts and yelps. Most times a jake won't gobble if there is an adult gobbler around, but they do yelp quite a bit. I use a deep raspy slate call, and just slow your yelps down and open up your oval to get better rasp.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

RE: Tom talk

Postby mark hay » January 19th, 2011, 11:04 am

I've told this before ,,,but I don't mind telling it again .
 Prior to this past fall season I heard a gobbler yelping from the roost . You've no doubt heard an old jack do his 'HEE HAW' . That old gobblers yelp was not unlike the 'HAW' .

HAAWW, HAAWW , HAAWW. He did it quite a few times before he flew down . In my own experiences , he is the slowest and most drawn out yelper I've heard .

First time I heard a cluck I thought it was a super hen of course . At that time I didn't know gobblers made any sounds other than spit n drum , gobble and PUTT!
 Recall in your own mind a particular hen you watched or listened to as she clucked . Now imagine her holding a megaphone in front of her beak , with her left wing and an empty five gallon bucket in front of the megaphone with her right wing . Coarse , deep and hollow is the way I describe it .

Had seven gobblers roosting in a circle around my deerstand 2-3 years back . One old longbeard was within 30 yards . Three were about 45-50 yards . When they began to tree call , had I not been looking right at each bird , I would have estimated them to be all hens . They were that high pitched in their chatter .

I just get a kick out of a good feathered show.[:D]

Return to Strategies