Gobblers in NY

longspur

RE: Gobblers in NY

Postby longspur » March 16th, 2009, 6:50 am

I saw four nice longbeards this morning. One I saw as I walked in to the open field. He was on a good treck gobbling as he went. Nice sounding gobble. I sat in the woods for an hour or so, boy it was a cold one. Had three nice longbeards walk in right by probably 25 yards. One strutter. They walked to the cornfield from their roost. It was nice to see some action just sitting quiet in the woods. They gobbled a little bit. Steeheadr, they won't be tired, they do the same thing year in and year out. I heard them gobbling as early as March 5th last year, and they went on gobbling into the middle of June. The real breeding season starts late March. They will be good still, have no worries. I watch them alot this time of year. The groups are just starting to break up, so breeding isn't too far away. Just think if you had to wait ten months or so before you could start chasing woman around. Ha. -Kevin.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 24th, 2009, 7:15 am

Saw really big gobbler near my house other day.[:D] It had short spurs but probably 10inch beard and probably 20 lbs. Good sign for upcoming season.[:)]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 25th, 2009, 1:16 am

in the last week i have seen eight different toms out struting in the feilds 36 more days boys[:)][:D][:)][:D]

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 26th, 2009, 7:23 am

Saw another lone gobbler yesterday[:)]. This one was BIG. His stomach was so big he looked like he might fall over[:)]. His beard was probably 10-12 inches long. Didnt get a look at the spurs because i was on the bus[8|]. probably over 25lbs[:D] Cant wait for the season or that first gobble[:D].

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » March 26th, 2009, 2:34 pm

The season cant come soon enough! I have really been messing with my turkey stuff as of late. I have a couple friends I am going to try to introduce to the sport this year.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 27th, 2009, 1:27 am

struting and fanning really picking up also i'm hearing gobbelling any of you guys worried if this warm weather keeps up that the breeding season is going to be early and the last 2 weeks of season may not be very good this year

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » March 27th, 2009, 1:31 am

Actually saw a flock yesterday. Of about 15 but saw the 3 toms in the flock. They were across the road from where I hunt. Alas, it's a busy highway.
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

longspur

Postby longspur » March 27th, 2009, 4:12 am

Nope, can't say I'm worried a bit. These birds start their routine every year from early March all the way to the end of June. I used to think that way as well, then I realized that the turkeys breeding season starts at the end of March through 'till the hens are bread. Think about it this way, these birds have to wait 8 and a half months or so before they can breed. They only get 3 and a half or so months out of the year to do their thing, so they will make good use of every day. So answer to your question, these birds will stay in this "rut" long enough for us "human hens" to sweet talk them in.[;)] -Kevin

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » March 28th, 2009, 3:53 am

I went out on monday morning. I heard at least 50 gobbles. and a ton of hen talk. It was pretty exciting. The birds did exactly what I expected them to do. They were roosting where I thought they would be and they ended up (by 9am) where I thought they would.  I cant wait for may 1st!!!

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 31st, 2009, 7:12 am

No need to wory about that grizzly. i heard april is supposed to be colder than average and very wet so the turkeys probably, at least around my house, wont be mating till may.[;)]

PreviousNext

Return to New York