Ohio Spring Scouting

OHhunter

Ohio Spring Scouting

Postby OHhunter » March 12th, 2009, 10:36 am

Anyone been out yet?

I've been out looking for sheds, coyote hunting and shooting groundhogs the last few weeks and haven't herd or seen anything execept for a group of longbeards out scratching around in a cow pasture a few weeks ago. 
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

mark hay

RE: Ohio Spring Scouting

Postby mark hay » March 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm

just got in from a little scouting in my favorite area. saw three groups totalling 27 birds . saw no strutters , heard no gobbles .
6 hens , 2 longbeards
12 gobblers ; 1 , 2 and older
7 longbeards

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 16th, 2009, 10:23 am

Just got in from a daylong scouting trip to some new ground my buddy thinks will payoff, saw nothing and heard nothing.  Talked to someone else at a nearby road they had been out doing the same and gave the same report.  Going out in the morning to check out another area, hope it shows more promise than todays.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Went out this morning to do a little scouting, several were gobbling from the tree and continued to gobble once on the ground, could hear several hens not to far from the gobbling.  Went down the road to check another area about 9 am and got to watch 4 longbeards strutting for 11 or 12 hens. Going try a different spot tommorrow, hope it's as good as todays.
Brad

-Rob Keck

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 20th, 2009, 12:57 pm

1 more month

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 24th, 2009, 1:39 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

1 more month

3 1/2 days & its on....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 27th, 2009, 11:39 am

Took my youngest daughter ( 5 years old)  out this morning to listen to em gobble, the look on her face when that first bird fired up, just out the rigde from us was priceless.  We ended up checking several spots all but 2 had birds gobbling, they were vocal until almost 8:30, I think the heavy fog  must have kept them in the tree longer than usuall.  It worked out good for us it was her first time hearing  them gobble that close and often.
Brad

-Rob Keck

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 27th, 2009, 11:49 am

well done OHhunter !

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 28th, 2009, 12:19 pm

down at the public land,,,just getting light. they were hammering up on the break ridge . on my way out saw one small flock of all hens , and another flock of 23 , mostly jakes and longbeards , with a few hens . two were strutting , but not for the hens . looked like they were strutting for each other . face to face for a long time . the other longbeards in the bunch were picking on the jakes . they all sure looked odd with big balls of mud and wet corn fodder stuck to their feet .

''old school turkey tactics''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 29th, 2009, 7:10 am

same area as yesterday ,,,most likely the same bunch of birds .

one strutter ,,no gobbling

Next

Return to Ohio