Shooting through brush?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
rsmithpa

RE: Shooting through brush?

Postby rsmithpa » March 26th, 2009, 6:44 am

I do not shoot through brush even if I can positively identiy the target.  I would rather let walk off. In years past in PA there were too many people shot that were set up in thick cover and mistaken for a turkey.  I just will not take that chance.  I like to see them in clear view when I pull the trigger. These are just my thoughts, Safety is always first.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

shaman

Postby shaman » March 26th, 2009, 10:12 am

Fan Club:

I wouldn't worry too much. I shot a shotgun with a ported barrel AND a ported choke tube for years, and did not see a huge difference switching to the new flite control stuff, nor switching out the choke tube for a new one that wasn't ported. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 26th, 2009, 10:34 am

Fan Club, I used to shoot the old Federal before the flightcontrol wad out of a Mossberg 500 and my Remington 870 both with Kicks GT .665 chokes. both guns shot the 3x2x5 loads very well. But neither gun likes the flightcontrol shells so I switched to the Remington Premier Magnum Turkey 3x2x5 copper plated lead loads. I don't think as a rule choke tubes that have ports designed to slow the wad or wad stoppers in them and the flightcontrol shells agree with one another for the most part from what other folks say as well. But I have read where a few guns equipped with those types of chokes shot some really good patterns with those shells. So it just goes to show that you never know what your combination is going to do until you shoot it at some paper.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 26th, 2009, 11:17 am

i was really excited about the flitecontrol wad when it was first announced . as soon as they hit the shelf in our local gunshop i snatched up a box of 2 3/4 '' , # 4's  , 1 1/2 oz.  straight to the range from the store . 25 yard target . every wad went through the cardboard . the pattern looked like it came from a sawed of gun ,,,,really disappointed .
however i understand the miniscule differences in guns of the same ''STANDARD''  bore . my gun has fixed or machined chokes of standard full and modified . neither barrel spit out an exceptable pattern . i have no idea or explanation ,,,not even a theory.  what i do have is a double that really is impressive with win. supreme XX magnum turkey loads, # 6 shot .
but i shy away from shots through brush .

''old school turkey tactics''

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 26th, 2009, 12:52 pm

I WON'T SHOOT TROUGH BRUSH. LET HIM PASS AND HOPE TO GET HIM NEXT TIME OUT.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 26th, 2009, 5:25 pm

turkeylimb
I agree I would rather let them walk than shoot through brush there is a big risk of crippling a bird and haveing him get away.
Turkeybuster

Previous

Return to Shooting