Tk2000..Time to get it done!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
turkeyhunter1

Tk2000..Time to get it done!

Postby turkeyhunter1 » January 19th, 2009, 2:50 pm

I am awaiting the spring season here in PA, and I think I'm going to use the TK2000 this year. The last time I used it,approximently, 5 years ago, I smoked the biggest body turkey, I have ever shot! It's been sitting back in the gun cabinet for some time, so I think I'll take it out this year, and maybe change my luck. I haven't gotten a turkey since, I put it away. Anybody use theTK2000, and what kinda loads do you shoot? Also, I have some tips, on getting rid of any plastic foul issues. I have developed a load, with a special wad, to elimate fouling, plus cushion your shot, so there is little deformation of pellets. Anybody who uses the TK2000, your input is appeciated!!

Noth'n like smoked turkey....

Steve_In

RE: Tk2000..Time to get it done!

Postby Steve_In » January 20th, 2009, 4:58 pm

The easiest way to get rid of plastic buildup is get rid of the plastic.  Use hard card and cushion wads along with hard shot and you will not have any problems.  Try 120 grs 2f Goex, .125 hard card wad, 3/4 cushion wad and 1-3/4 oz hard # 6's.  Give that jug choke something to work with.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

ljmelea

Postby ljmelea » January 25th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I'm using a turkey ranger wad,100 grns goex true black powder,full cup of hevi-shot,209 primer,styroform overshot wad.Shot three gobblers last year,any where from 12 yds to 47 yds.dead,flat dead. larry
good luck

dpittman

Postby dpittman » March 24th, 2009, 6:30 am

Larry,
    Could you give me any info on shooting hevi shot thru TK2000. I have one and have tried every manner of lead combos with various wads and lead shot. I have never been imoressed with this gun at all. Thinking of trying hevi shot. I have heard some good things.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 24th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I might be wrong but the thick wads used with Hevi and steel may not perform in a jug choke.  The payload has to be able to expand into the recess to take advantage of the choke.  In other words if it does not expand it is like shooting a cylinderbore.  What does Knight reccomend?

dpittman

Postby dpittman » March 25th, 2009, 8:53 am

Steve.... That is a good point I never thought about it. Those BPI wads (Knight wads) are pretty stiff and I can see where that makes sense. There are guys shooting hevi-shot with good results so I would be interested in how they are doing it. I am not very fond of the jug choke, I would rather see a standard barrel with interchangable chokes. I could be missing something though.......Doug

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 25th, 2009, 1:30 pm

I have not examined the TK2000 except for the adds Knight puts out.  My barrels have a fairly long parrellel section that I can't see the Knight as having.  I shoot almost all traditional ML and do not pay much attention to the modern stuff.  The old boy that rebored and choked my barrels has done many for the competors at the NMLRA nationals at Friendship In.  Try more powder if you haven't already done that.

Return to Shooting