2009 Season Report

Fan Club

2009 Season Report

Postby Fan Club » March 16th, 2009, 3:40 am

Monday March 9 th, saw 8 or 9 strutters in a group of about 30 birds at the edge of a swale alongside the highway.

First strutters of the year I've spotted. No gobbling yet.

The large group of gobblers ( 11 in Jan) frequenting my bird feeder have split into smaller groups of 2 and 3.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Fan Club

RE: 2009 Season Report

Postby Fan Club » March 25th, 2009, 4:50 am

Wednesday, March 25 th- Gobblers have joined the main flocks. Had 23 birds in my backyard this morning; 5 were gobblers... 2 were strutting, one of which was gobbling.

The season is still a month away!  [:(]

stra8shooter

Postby stra8shooter » March 28th, 2009, 3:09 pm

hi de ho de,
                     so may i ask witch neck of the woods(county) are you scoping?   or section of the state,

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 29th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Hey Shooter, nice to have some company in this forum.

I'm in SW Michigan, Calhoun county. I also cover a sales territory that involves driving through Branch, Kalamazoo, Allegan and Barry counties.

stra8shooter

Postby stra8shooter » March 31st, 2009, 3:59 am

thanks for the welcome fan club,  i don't tend to say a whole lot on these forums but i do read alot of them. t & th  mag has been a great read for me over the years.
i do get out your way once in awile mostly for pheasants in oct. usually hit hillsdale, branch, but do most of my hunting in the thumb sanilac co. or huron.
have a great day,    
mike

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » March 31st, 2009, 11:18 am

Hey guys, new guy here [;)] I prob wont bring much knowledge to the forum but i LOVE to learn! I'm a newbie it comes to hunting turkey so forgive me for anything laughable i say [;)] I'm hoping to get into the woods this spring for the first time ever to hunt Turkey and i'm pretty excited!! But to add a little to the forum...

I have seen a few turkeys so far this year.

A week ago, I saw 3 or so (not sure if they were hens or what) digging around where their are a few oak trees, i spooked em some when i approached and they ran off, but they were tearing the ground up pretty good where they were (just looking for food im guessing?) (remember newb here haha [:D] )

(Same day, another part of the land)
I spooked about 7 or so (had no idea they were there [:(] and they took off in all directions, again couldn't tell what they were, but it was still cool to see so many in a day! I think 10 or so is a lot, not sure if it is tho lol!

And then back in the fall i was deer hunting and i heard some "clucking" off about 30 yds away and a group of 20 or so paraded by my stand and down some trails back and forth, at about 20 or so yards for about 30 mins, it was really cool to watch em and everything! They eventually ventured off but i could still hear em in the distance. Not sure what any of this means lol! But i know they are on or at least using the land i hunt frequently.

stra8shooter

Postby stra8shooter » April 1st, 2009, 6:03 pm

hello there mr. demo derby #4! may i say welcome to the world of turkey hunting, because once you start there is no end. it will take you under it's  wing and keep you there. the sound of the first gooble you here the second you end your call will always be with you, and when he shows up 25 yards away strutting and goobling to beet the band. remember to take a breath, take in the big picture,he's showing everthing he's got and its beautiful, breathtaking and heartpounding.have plenty of patience look down the barrel at the bead,take a breath,wait for him to break his strut and stetch his head high or out, place the bead (cross hairs) half way up his neck and squeez. o yah it is easier if you let him stop moving but not always neccesary. one other hint you might not know a turkey closes his eyes to gooble, that can cone into play if your fast enough and ther's plenty of trees or other cover(or if he's lookin the other way).well gettin late, don't hesitate with any ? thers always an answer (right or wrong) of differant opionons.
       good night!    cheers!

mike

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » April 1st, 2009, 6:44 pm

Thanks Mike! I'm sure the questions will keep coming [;)] I sure hope I have all of those feelings sometime soon! I cant wait to be in the woods and watch the sun come up the morning of April 20th!!
Matt Cain

St. Clair County, MI

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 14th, 2009, 2:54 am

I tagged this gobbler last Saturday on my property. No beating around the bush, this was an easy turkey... right place, right time. I hunted from 5:30 to 10:30 with my 13 yr old grandson, Ryan, at a nearby farm with nothing to show...no gobbles, turkey sightings, nothing. It was overcast, cool and windy and around 10:00 it started to rain. Ryan stayed at the farm with my brother-in-law Chris and I drove home a couple miles to grab some rainsuits. While home, I thought I'd walk to the edge of my woods and call. I got an immediate response and sat under a nearby tree. Another couple yelps and two more gobbles later, there he was at 30 yards.

22 lbs, 1 inch spurs, 10 inch beard.

I've got mixed emotions about this one. We are trying to get Ryan his first gobbler and part of me says I shouldn't have shot it. Then again, this turkey has eaten my corn for the last two winters. I have filled a Michigan tag and can concentrate on helping the kid now. For a real plus, we worked three different gobblers out back on Sunday morning, so there are plenty more toms around.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 18th, 2009, 5:20 am

I've hunted hard with my 13 yr old grandson, Ryan, for two weekends now without a shot opportunity for the kid. He's getting discouraged to go along with his sleep deprivation but that's OK, he's getting to see that turkey hunting is not a gimme and involves strategy and effort.

The stage of the season is just plain undeterminable. We have received courtesy gobbles by the dozen from gobblers still with hens that led them away. We have spotted gobblers strutting with hens in areas we cannot hunt. On the other hand, we inadvertantly bumped a hen off her nest yesterday and it had 19 eggs in it. So we've basically been subjected to everything but what we need...a gobbler that will come to the call.

Still 14 days left in the season though, plenty of time for them to bust loose. Might even try a couple of evening hunts...a buddy of mine got one at 6:30 pm last week that came to the call from a great distance. Stay tuned.

PS- Ryan was especially disgusted when I enlisted him to take the photo in my previous post. [:@]

Next

Return to Michigan