Proto-Teaser

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

Proto-Teaser

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 13th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Well after the first 7 double siders and junking all 7 of them, it bugged me that I couldn't find the right combo to make it work. I was sitting watching TV the other night and looking at a few of the calls I had just finished. I remembered a piece of soft maple I had laying in the shop that was just taking up space, that I was going to toss out anyways, being that it was a flat dead sounding piece of maple. It was thick enough to almost get two calls out of, but with it sounding so bad I didn't use it. I had just got a 1/4 sawn piece of maple and some purpleheart, so I cut a couple of tongues out and hewned the maple out to the thickness I wanted and glued it up for one more try at a double sider. Well after sanding and shaping the call, I grabbed a striker off the bench and ran a few yelps. It started to scream and after I tuned it and sanded the tongues down it will serve as a prototype call for this falls season. I still have a few bugs to work out of this design, but it will become a very useful call with two different sounds out of the two sides, and if one side gets damp and unplayable you can roll it over and keep right on calling. Here is the first peek at the new design, and as I get all the tweeks figured out as to what it will need to produce the same sounds as my other tongue calls do, you'll be seeing a few more of these.
Thanks for the look, Scott
Attachments
TT2-2.jpg
TT2-2.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 252 times
TT2.jpg
TT2.jpg (73.42 KiB) Viewed 252 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

bbcustomboxcalls

Re: Proto-Teaser

Postby bbcustomboxcalls » July 24th, 2014, 10:30 am

GREAT LOOKING CALLS.

Bill

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 20th, 2014, 8:14 am

I'll be adding one of those to my vest once you get the bugs worked out, Scott.
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 21st, 2014, 9:02 am

After doing a few more of these double siders, I've learned that they had to be tuned a bit different than the one sided calls. The first one went out the shop last night to our Wheeling Sportsman banquet. Charley Burke was running the banquet auction and he was having a hard time letting that call go, he was playing it every chance he could to show the people how they sound and play, after I explained and showed him the different ways you can run these little calls. His first question he asked me after he learned to run one was, are you send one of these to Nationals :lol: ? "Quote" I've never seen a double sided tongue call, ever. These are a great sounding call that you can make sound many different ways and the tone of these are unreal, they don't have that dull sound like a lot of double sided calls have, the soft talk in these are fantastic, you can run a high pitch or a soft lower tone! So, I guess he was impressed with the way they sounded and how easy they were to learn to run.
They are available Jim.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 18th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Scott I'm glad to see that you finally figured it out. :D
Is it turkey season yet?

Return to Call Makers