The S-word?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
JPH

RE: The S-word?

Postby JPH » March 17th, 2009, 1:00 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay
3 or 4 years back some bonehead was mushroom hunting on private property , wearing a white sweatshirt , before noon, which is unloading time for turkey hunters , and had the misfortune of meeting up with another bonehead that didn't identify his target ,,,and he shot the shroom hunter. no excuse for either party involved there .

I will apologize in advance if this takes the conversation in the wrong direction. This is not directed at you as a person, mark, only your thinking in this area.

To imply that the mushroom hunter in the white shirt was is some way responsible for being shot is outrageous. Unless you are coming in my bedroom window at 3:00 am to borrow my skill saw, you do not bear any responsibility if I accidentally shoot you!

I have been interrupted in mid-hunt by hikers, mushroomers, farmers and mountain bikers, on public and private land. None of them were asking to be shot. If you pick up a firearm, you accept responsibility for every living thing within your range.

Again, I find us spending time on skewed logic. Lawful hunters with excellent firearms discipline are the key to eliminating hunting accidents. The fact that shootings continue to decline in the face of more turkey hunters, using more lethal loads, and aggressive tactics proves it.

I do not deny that being defensive is a good way to reduce your risk, but we need to stop the "shooting victim blame game". We also need to accept that hunter mortality is far more dependent on our health than it is on whether we use hevi-shot or decoys. 

tinker

Postby tinker » March 17th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Here is one for your "almost" books..
 three years ago, I worked a long beard into range and cleanly snuffed his wick at 20 yards. Immediately following the shot, I was startled by a scream/screech...It seems that a female golfer from the course adjoining my farm had drifted into my woods to answer natures call after a few too many white zinfandel's. She was propped against the off-side of a tree about 50 yards for me when I let hell loose and it scared her enough to soil her khaki shorts in the process of a speedy retreat sans britches. what if she were a little closer and caught some stray #5s in the caboose?
 The reality here is that no matter where you are, there are no 100% certain situations.

Tink

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 18th, 2009, 10:37 am

That is what you call a screamer Tink!LOL.[:-][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
TB

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 19th, 2009, 4:19 am

i've noticed that most turkey hunters in the buckeye state are a lazy bunch

I hope your right I spent the last month finding public ground with the largest parcels without roads or trails on maps, now I'm in the process of scoping them out on foot.  So far found a couple spots that are looking pretty good.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion