My daughter's first bird

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
ticklishtompro

My daughter's first bird

Postby ticklishtompro » April 7th, 2014, 10:33 pm

With our learn to hunt I had the privilege of taking my daughter on her first turkey hunt. Very proud of her and some memories made that will never be forgotten.
The first morning had very little gobbling. We did have 2 gobblers come into the field, gave a courtesy gobble to my call, strut for about 2 minutes, and then walk away. Most of the rest of the day was uneventful until about 5:30pm. I peeked out the back window of the blind to see 3 gobblers out feeding. They had no interest in the decoys or calls, and fed away from us and disappeared into the next field.
That evening I was talking with my buddy and debating on which property to go to the next morning. He said, he had the perfect place and we needed to have a cameraman along, cause he had been seeing a lot of birds there. He watched 82 birds go to the roost that evening, with at least a dozen longbeards and a bunch of jakes.
The morning started with a huge amount of gobbling. They double and triple gobbled off the roost, which was on the neighbor's property about 200 yards from us. Once they hit the ground the gobbling pretty much shut off. There was a standing corn field in between us and the roost, but they loved the picked beanfield we were sitting on the edge of and we knew they would come eventually.
Finally around 8:30 2 toms came in behind the blind. The one decided he didn't like something and left right away. The second gave a courtesy gobble from no more than 15 yards behind our blind. He stayed there for what seemed like an eternity. The amount of drumming he did was amazing, I never heard one do so much ever! We finally managed to get a window open where a shot could be made, and after some readjusting, getting my daughter set, she made a great shot at about 20 yards. It was a great hunt and all of it on video. I will post a link when it is done.
Special thanks to Shane Simpson for calling and videoing, and my friend Doug for putting us on his spot!
Attachments
387.jpg
Shane Simpson photo bomb!!
387.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 386 times
403.jpg
403.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 386 times
385.jpg
21.5 lbs, 10in beard, 3/4 in spurs
385.jpg (73.76 KiB) Viewed 386 times
419.jpg
Me and Sydney
419.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Re: My daughter's first bird

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 8th, 2014, 11:45 am

Great bird! congratulations to your daughter!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 9th, 2014, 8:21 am

Great pictures! Congratulations Sydney :D
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » April 9th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Congratulations to you and your daughter! Also a very nice photo bomb by Shane. When is the video of the hunt going to be posted?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 9th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Congrats on your daughter getting her first bird. Im willing to bet that you was more excited than she was. :D Can't wait to see the video.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 9th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Video should be posted on the Mossberg youtube channel. I will post a link when it is up.

Thanks guys, and yes I was a proud dad!!
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 13th, 2014, 3:48 pm

ticklishtompro can't get logged in nor can Brian (oh boy) I'm finally able to log in. Here is the link to his daughter's hunt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc_gyFMvet4&sns=fb as usual Shane does an excellent job. Enjoy.

Congratulations Sidney, that was some mighty fine shooting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 13th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Hey I finally got back in! Thanks for posting it for me Charlie.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

Return to First Time Turkeys