LTH Retention

charlie elk

LTH Retention

Postby charlie elk » March 25th, 2014, 7:42 am

What is the hunter retention rate of Learn to Hunt programs?
Some on here put on great learn to hunt events and I'm wondering how many of the young or first time hunters who participate take up hunting.
Are there any follow up stories on these new and budding hunters?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: LTH Retention

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 25th, 2014, 9:54 am

I'm not sure just how you would determine that unless you were the one putting on the hunts? I've gotten a few emails back from some of the kids that I had as young hunters, telling me stories of their hunts the next few seasons/years. My guess would be around a 70/30 % of the young hunters carry on with hunting. A lot of these kids only have one parent, and if the parent isn't a serious hunter, that's when the kids tend to go a different direction (the 30%). We've had a couple of our Youth and LTH hunters go full force in the turkey hunting, and come back as mentors to other young hunters, because they enjoyed what they learned from their first hunt, and if it wasn't for that first hunt they never would of gotten the chance to learn how much fun it was to turkey hunt. I for one believe that the programs are successful and support them very much.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 25th, 2014, 10:29 am

In No way should my question be taken as critical of LTH, I deeply admire all who put out the effort to do them. At times I go out with new hunters but not part of a formal program. At the Expo some of us were discussing ideas about organizing a fall LTH.

Is it better to have a formal organized LTH or take them out on individual mentoring hunts?

Do the peers and camaraderie of LTH event contribute to retention? Or maybe retention is not quite the right word; continuing to hunt?

In a non-hunting family would the individual ongoing mentoring work better?
Does LTH work better in a hunting family? Do families that hunt participate in LTH? or Do they do their hunting intros?
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 25th, 2014, 12:26 pm

charlie elk wrote:In No way should my question be taken as critical of LTH, I deeply admire all who put out the effort to do them. At times I go out with new hunters but not part of a formal program. At the Expo some of us were discussing ideas about organizing a fall LTH. A fall hunt may be a little more difficult to do as far as being able to get enough good areas to hunt? With all the other seasons going on, mostly deer, it may be harder to get permission from a lot of places that would let other people on their land, that might mess up their deer hunting. That's a big issue between bow hunters and fall turkey hunters they don't mix real well. Most of the land owners won't let you on until after the deer season, if your turkey or pheasant hunting.

Is it better to have a formal organized LTH or take them out on individual mentoring hunts?
That has a lot to do with whether the hunter comes from a hunting family? If they come from a hunting family and have a place to hunt, then the individual mentoring is better, if the aren't from a hunting family or don't have a place to hunt then the organized LTH works better, so it's about a 50/50.

Do the peers and camaraderie of LTH event contribute to retention? Or maybe retention is not quite the right word; continuing to hunt? I used to have a young boy that lived next door, and his family wasn't a hunting family, his mom would never let a gun in her house. He would always come over and watch us shoot our bows and was always waiting to see what we brought home after a hunt, he would come over and watch/help us clean or skin our game/deer. As he got older he wanted to try hunting, and after he took his hunters safety course, he got the chance to hunt with us, we barrowed him a gun and he when with us. Now that he's older and moved out on his own, he has a cabinet full of guns and does a lot of pheasant, deer and turkey hunting. He enjoys it so much that he's gotten his dad into hunting and they both go together now (dad borrows one of his guns, no guns in his house :lol: ).

In a non-hunting family would the individual ongoing mentoring work better? I believe Yes it does.
Does LTH work better in a hunting family? In some cases yes. Do families that hunt participate in LTH? A lot of them do. It depends again if they are big deer hunters? Most hunting families are into the QDMA trophy thingy, and if they can hunt some other land and not disturb their properties, then they do it. Most LTH hunts have land set up for it, so that way they aren't goofing up their property.or Do they do their hunting intros?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » March 25th, 2014, 8:20 pm

This is a question the DNR is trying to find out also. A couple years ago they began requiring a DNR customer number for all those participating in the program. The reason, to see if they continue hunting down the road. I would be curious to see what they have found, but may be to soon.
From some that have gone through our program, I know many of them still hunt. Some of these would not have tried it without it. In my opinion if only a few continue it is worth it. We need new hunter recruitment.
I come from a nonhunting family, and wish there would have been something like this that I could have done. I think that is why I am such a proponent of them. My brothers friend took him hunting and in turn got me hunting when I was around 17.

My 2 cents.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 26th, 2014, 9:42 am

Good info, thanks for the responses.
What affect does weather have on new hunters?
Early spring certainly can be less than hospitable, same for the Nov deer hunting LTH.
As we saw last spring many veteran hunters chose not to hunt due horrible weather. If a newbie were dragged out into that would it discourage future hunting?
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 26th, 2014, 10:42 am

That would depend on the newbie, on much they really want to be out there? They can still hunt their regular season that their tag is good for, and not use it for the LTH weekend. The LTH only eliminates the time period that their tag is good for, meaning they can use a 4th season tag for the LTH weekend. When they first started the LTH hunts they gave them a LTH tag and they didn't have to use their regular season tags, but that's no longer. There are people that only do the LTH weekend and they get a tag, but it's only good for that LTH hunt.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 26th, 2014, 6:12 pm

We don't have a LTH program down here, atleast not that I know of, so Im curious on who runs the program up there? Is it the Fish and Wildlife department or NWTF Chapters? Down here we have a youth weekend hunt so Im curious is that what you call the LTH program?
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 26th, 2014, 7:53 pm

The DNR has the say so in it, but anyone can run it. We have NWTF chapters that run one , sport shops the run them, just ordinary people that run one. As long as the DNR knows that your running one they supply the tags for it, whom ever is running it has to do the classroom work for it, most times there is a warden present to answer question about hunting turkey or whatever they are hunting.
Our youth seasons are for young hunters under the age of 15. Our LTH are for hunters that have never tried turkey hunting or have not hunted turkey in the last 10 yrs can hunt under the LTH program. We get hunters of all ages from 16 to 95. All a youth hunter needs is their hunters safety permit, and they can get a free tag the first year that they hunt, after that they need their license n tag, but can hunt the youth weekend and use their tag to get a bird no matter what season they drew. The LTH hunters get a free tag for that LTH hunt, they don't need a license, it's a free hunt for them. They have to hunt with a registered state mentor on a one on one basis, and have attended the classroom end of it, where they learn about the safety side and they have to know how to handle, operate, and shoot a gun.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 27th, 2014, 10:14 am

A WDNR official LTH event grants permission to hunt outside of the regular season. We're working on a fall event, since the season opens Sept 13 we are not sure if hunting earlier is of any great benefit. According to WDNR we can do an event or program anytime during a season as long as all individual licensing is taken care of.
I would be surprised if any state would have a problem with a group learning to hunt during a regularly scheduled season.

Our fall deal might have some dog pandemonium. At first I couldn't figure out where to get more turkey dogs. After talking with some farmers about the concept they said "so and so has a bird dog why not ask them." So it looks like Vic will be teaching turkey inexperienced bird dogs to turkey dog. Everyone I've talked to about setting this up is very excited. The farmers are happy to have someone shooting the "field carp"; their words not mine. I am sad they feel that way about turkeys, maybe this will help change their minds a bit.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin