winchester longbeard xr

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Fan Club

Re: winchester longbeard xr

Postby Fan Club » March 16th, 2014, 2:38 pm

icdedturkes wrote:
Fan Club wrote:
icdedturkes wrote:
I have never been a fan of 4s as it is extremely difficult in lead to get acceptable patterns thus negating the penetration advantage, these shells will most likely change that at 40 yards.. Granted I would still rather have a load of 4s.

I would agree with that, it's hard to get a great pattern with lead 4s. I started shooting them many years ago for the down range energy before HTL was available. On our Missouri lease a lot of henned up pasture gobblers would strut for hours in the open away from any available cover and ignore any calling. If you could get one inside of 50 yards you had to shoot if you wanted to fill a tag. At 50 yards you weren't going to have a great pattern with any lead load so it was more important to have that golden BB. Since I won't pay 7 bucks a shell for HTL, and I don't see a need to, hoping the LBXR will tighten up the long range groups with 4s.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 16th, 2014, 4:17 pm

its a jam up shell my pattern of 4s looks like a pattern of 6s. im getting a fine pattern out of my 390 and gobblin thunder
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

wfolds

Postby wfolds » March 16th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Killed my first turkey yesterday using 3" #5 Longbeard ammo. Good thing I patterned the shot on Saturday because using a Trulock Turkey Choke .660 the pattern was low and to the left at 30 yards. The shot only had 1 pellet in the head. Once I held at the 2 o'clock position I got a better concentration of shot in the head. Pattern was @ 12 to 13 inches. The turkey I killed was at @ 20 - 25 yards and I held above and behind his head and I have to say it did the job. One thing I was not happy with was having to spend 30 minutes and had to use a brass screen to remove the junk from the barrel. Think I will try a different brand next time. I do have some Longbeard ammo to get rid of.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 16th, 2014, 6:24 pm

wfolds wrote: One thing I was not happy with was having to spend 30 minutes and had to use a brass screen to remove the junk from the barrel. Think I will try a different brand next time.

Congrats on the gobbler wfold, and thanks for chiming in. The resin plug that encases the shot in LBXR is craddled by the wad and supposed to fracture after it exits the barrel. Do you think that was resin you had to clean out of your barrel or were you able to determine what it was?

Have any of you other fellers that have shot LBXR experienced this?
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 16th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Fan Club wrote:
wfolds wrote: One thing I was not happy with was having to spend 30 minutes and had to use a brass screen to remove the junk from the barrel. Think I will try a different brand next time.

Congrats on the gobbler wfold, and thanks for chiming in. The resin plug that encases the shot in LBXR is craddled by the wad and supposed to fracture after it exits the barrel. Do you think that was resin you had to clean out of your barrel or were you able to determine what it was?

I shot about 10 rounds of the LBXR and didn't notice anything unusual when I cleaned the shotgun. Like you said Fanclub I wonder if that resin didn't burn all the way.
Is it turkey season yet?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 16th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Congrats on your gobbler
David

You never know, unless you go

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 16th, 2014, 9:41 pm

my first shot made my choke look like a cheese grader
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

wfolds

Postby wfolds » March 17th, 2014, 4:18 am

Fan Club wrote:

I do think it was the resin. I started cleaning the barrel by pushing several patches down the barrel soaked with Gunzilla and the patches has some really black junk on them. I ran a nylon brush back and forth about 20 times and then followed up with a clean patch. More black junk came out. At this point I switched to my Otis system I pulled another Gunzilla soaked patch through the barrel half way down the barrel I felt major resistance so much so that my first thought was there was something wrong with the barrel. Looking down the barrel I saw more stuff stuck to the inside and that is when I got out the brass screen patch and pulled it through the barrel and more black junk came out. After a new screen was pulled through a couple more times then clean patches from my Otis system the barrel was clean.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 17th, 2014, 11:34 am

Fan Club wrote:
bamabirdbuster13 wrote:walmart always clearances all turkey shells plus my mom works in upper mgmt so i had to train to catch things that go on super closeout. besides shells i get things like 20 crow calls for a pennie a piece

The Wal Marts up here used to get stupid crazy with low ball closeouts, could get all manner of hunting stuff dirt cheap at the end of season. That all changed a couple years ago. Now everything goes down a standard 20% for close out and that's it. Period. If it doesn't sell in 6-8 weeks on "clearance" at that price, they'll take the sales price off, stow it in the back room and put it out again next season. I cover five WMs on my sales route and they're all the same...must be the directive from current Regional Management. You wouldn't think they would want to keep that stuff when they have inventory coming up, but they do.

Meanwhile, their chief local competitor, Meijer, is kicking their ass on clearance sales where I often buy close outs at 25% of original retail price. Back to the topic though, Ammo NEVER goes on sale in Michigan, Again, Period. That must have something to do with State regulation or taxes because it's never discounted anywhere. Go figure.

Noticed that as well in N MI you could clean house at Walmart end of season.. As for Meijer, I would rather shop Meijer any day of the week, but ours has destroyed their sporting goods section there is absolutely nothing in it.. Used to be pretty dang good but in the past year it is not even worth your time to go down that aisle as there is nothing.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 17th, 2014, 12:47 pm

At least your guys WM's have sporting goods, ours don't :evil: . The old store used to be great, but they built a new Super Wally and they don't carry hardly any sporting goods, just camo cloths and a few fishing rods, no guns, shells, supplies nothing for hunting, other than your licenses. They replaced all the sporting goods with golf, or weight lifting and snowboards supplies.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting