winchester longbeard xr

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
icdedturkes

Re: winchester longbeard xr

Postby icdedturkes » February 24th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Treerooster wrote:
icdedturkes wrote:
eddie234 wrote:a few years ago I posted a question about what would you do if your favorite shell got discontinued, mostly everyone replied that they had a shell and choke combo that worked they had stocked up on the shell's. I took that advised and have enough hevi 13 3" #6's to last for a number of years.

I got screwed years ago when Activ sold out.. I moved to white hevis and upon discontinuation bought ALOT.. With Environmetal it is good to even stock up when you find a lot number that does well for you because they are constantly changing not only shells but components.. Sad thing is alot of folks cannot afford to do so at some of the ammo prices today.

Do you think the Win Longbeards will change over time? Win changed the XR shell.

You know thats the scary part.. Sometimes they are at the mercy of their suppliers and sometimes they change components to make another nickel a box.. I think the biggest thing is the resin, lets hope its made in house with widely available whatever it is, the wad appears to be nothing special and they have no buffer to change.. I thought the Fed HWs were the shell not subject to change, no buffer, flight control wad, but some note differences in lots.

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 8th, 2014, 8:07 pm

finally shot long beard shells have to say it was the best 40yrd pattern of lead 4s ive ever seen in a 3in shell. im for sure buying a few boxes after turkey season when they go on sale
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 9th, 2014, 12:14 pm

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:finally shot long beard shells have to say it was the best 40yrd pattern of lead 4s ive ever seen in a 3in shell. im for sure buying a few boxes after turkey season when they go on sale

Where do you find turkey shells on sale? From what I've seen they stay the same price year round, but it looks like I might be looking in the wrong spots.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 10th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Me either, the only time I've ever seen turkey shells on sale is right before the seasons start. After that they go back to regular price and stay there, unless they aren't going to handle that brand anymore or the company is changing something in their shells, and they want to get rid of what ever stock they have left.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 11th, 2014, 6:57 am

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:finally shot long beard shells have to say it was the best 40yrd pattern of lead 4s ive ever seen in a 3in shell. im for sure buying a few boxes after turkey season when they go on sale

Thanks for the feedback, I've been eagerly awaiting some...most of the published so called "reviews" are nothing more than the manufacturer's media release.

I've never seen turkey loads on sale either. You might find a 2 year old box of shells at lower price because they have gone up, that's about it.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 11th, 2014, 11:34 am

I shot a box of 3 inch 6s yesterday in two Invector guns.. Had a handful of chokes to try and stopped at number 2, gave me patterns well beyond my expectations for any lead shell and will dance all day with an equal loading of HTL..

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 14th, 2014, 9:17 am

icdedturkes wrote:I shot a box of 3 inch 6s yesterday in two Invector guns.. Had a handful of chokes to try and stopped at number 2, gave me patterns well beyond my expectations for any lead shell and will dance all day with an equal loading of HTL..

Was that at 40 yards, Tom?

I finally scored a box of LB XR 3"- 4s at Gander Mtn this week, Hopefully some fair weather is in the future so I can try them out!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 14th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Fan Club wrote:
icdedturkes wrote:I shot a box of 3 inch 6s yesterday in two Invector guns.. Had a handful of chokes to try and stopped at number 2, gave me patterns well beyond my expectations for any lead shell and will dance all day with an equal loading of HTL..

Was that at 40 yards, Tom?

I finally scored a box of LB XR 3"- 4s at Gander Mtn this week, Hopefully some fair weather is in the future so I can try them out!

Yup a taped 40.. I shot one at 25 dialing gun in and it was tight but not stupid tight.I know this load and winchester are taking a beating on the questionable marketing and I agree with that.. But I really think for alot of the guys that buy a box of whatever lead shoot a beer can at 40 put 3 in it and think they are good to go and shoot at 40 are actually gonna have legitimate 40 yard patterns even through factory choke..

I have never been a fan of 4s as it is extremely difficult in lead to get acceptable patterns thus negating the penetration advantage, these shells will most likely change that at 40 yards.. Granted I would still rather have a load of 4s.

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 15th, 2014, 12:14 am

walmart always clearances all turkey shells plus my mom works in upper mgmt so i had to train to catch things that go on super closeout. besides shells i get things like 20 crow calls for a pennie a piece
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 16th, 2014, 2:26 pm

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:walmart always clearances all turkey shells plus my mom works in upper mgmt so i had to train to catch things that go on super closeout. besides shells i get things like 20 crow calls for a pennie a piece

The Wal Marts up here used to get stupid crazy with low ball closeouts, could get all manner of hunting stuff dirt cheap at the end of season. That all changed a couple years ago. Now everything goes down a standard 20% for close out and that's it. Period. If it doesn't sell in 6-8 weeks on "clearance" at that price, they'll take the sales price off, stow it in the back room and put it out again next season. I cover five WMs on my sales route and they're all the same...must be the directive from current Regional Management. You wouldn't think they would want to keep that stuff when they have inventory coming up, but they do.

Meanwhile, their chief local competitor, Meijer, is kicking their ass on clearance sales where I often buy close outs at 25% of original retail price. Back to the topic though, Ammo NEVER goes on sale in Michigan, Again, Period. That must have something to do with State regulation or taxes because it's never discounted anywhere. Go figure.

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting