Wind Turkeys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
charlie elk

Wind Turkeys

Postby charlie elk » March 1st, 2014, 2:46 pm

In the March issue of Fur Fish Game www.furfishgame.com Judd Cooney has interesting article detailing his observations of wind effects on turkeys. It's good article I think many turkey hunters would like to read.
He concludes and makes the case why turkeys fly off roost into wind. I had not considered wind affecting the direction turkeys fly off roost. Although after reading this piece and thinking back, a lot of those "wrong way" turkeys were probably flying into the wind. I had not thought about wind effects at the time nor considered it during setup. Now it seems a duh why weren't you thinking moment?

Whenever it's windy I setup with the wind to my back-
1. Sound goes down wind better than up.
2. Turkeys prefer the wind pushing their feathers down rather than pushing them forward.

What other wind effects has anyone noticed?
Or don't be concerned about the wind?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

retranger

Re: Wind Turkeys

Postby retranger » March 1st, 2014, 8:06 pm

Birds are like a plane,,,take off into the wind and land into the wind. I have also noticed ,,,,,,in my area,,,,, that they fly down hill to roost and if things are right up hill off roost
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 2nd, 2014, 10:54 am

I read the article and I don't really buy into it.

I have also heard the theory that turkeys won't move towards the sun early in the am because the sun is in their eyes. The guy said they go west in the morning. Hmmm why not N or S or SE or...

I don't buy that either. I think turkeys are going to go from their roost to where they want to feed or water.

I really haven't taken notes on the idea though. I have seen turkeys fly down on windy days. If its a good wind I have seen them fly down into the wind and also make a half circle with the wind, and then back into it before they hit the ground. Just thinking from my memory it seems on real windy days turkeys don't fly too far before they hit the ground. Turkeys ARE agile fliers.
Once on the ground (IME) turkeys usually mill around the roost site for a bit (usually about 45 min) and then go where they are going to go. I have seen them head away from the roost pretty quickly, but it seems most times they mill around a bit.

If its a very windy day the turkeys may head to an area sheltered from the wind. If that area happens to require travel with the wind then they will go with it. I should note that most of the turkeys I hunt are roosted in wooded areas and not next to a field. On a few occasions I have seen turkeys fly into the middle of a field and begin their day right where they landed.

Like I said I really have not studied the idea and I may pay more attention to it. But I am skeptical.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 3rd, 2014, 10:16 am

Thanks for the responses.
Treerooster wrote:I have also heard the theory that turkeys won't move towards the sun early in the am because the sun is in their eyes.
I consider the absolute best setup, is the rising sun to my back with the turkeys coming in head on. Don't know what the turkeys see then but some have busted me so they must see in spite of the sun. I just like it out of my eyes.

Most times around here in hill country the turkeys just seem to fall off their roosts and mill around the roost trees for a while.

I have not paid much attention to the wind direction on fly down, but plan to now. In the article no wind speed was referenced. When did wind cause the turkeys to change fly down direction breeze, 20 mph, 30 mph? Was there an unseen hen calling on the back ridge?

Many times my calling has changed a turkey's directions sometimes good :D sometimes not so much :shock: .
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 8th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I read the article too...and am not completely sold on it. You'd think as much as we all hunt, we'd have picked up on it by now. Wind speeds were not mentioned, only "If the wind was out of the North, they flew down that way. Next day the wind was out of the South, and they flew down that way."

Interesting that Cooney's observations were made in the fall when he was guiding deer hunters and the birds are yarded up. In the Spring all bets are off and the gobblers are usually going to go where the hens are. But, I've seen hens sail 200 yards out into the field off the roost and the gobbler drop straight down to the field edge for whatever reason, irregardless of what the wind is doing.

If nothing else, the article will have me thinking about it a lot more from now on.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 26th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Treerooster wrote:I have also heard the theory that turkeys won't move towards the sun early in the am because the sun is in their eyes. The guy said they go west in the morning. Hmmm why not N or S or SE or...

If your referencing Gulvas I believe that was more along the lines of why they sometimes circle your calling position. Thats what I took from the DVD.. Not a statement that determines their daily activities.. I have seen similar statements thrown out with rutting bucks, they will only walk into the wind.. Well in our States case with predominant west winds during the fall, the Lake Michigan shoreline would be lined with bucks. :lol:

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 26th, 2014, 7:12 pm

As for the wind.. I believe it too a point if birds are pitching far, and not just dropping straight down out of a tree.. I hunt ducks and geese 5-6 days a week in the fall you would be surprised in light winds how they still set up for the wind direction land coming in.. Sometimes they set way down wind to come into the wind but alot of times they come and drop a fish hook pattern into the wind at the last moment in the pocket.. I was told "Everything from a mosquito to a 777 land into the wind"

With the fact birds are flying down at first light when wind is alot of time subdued or in the timber where wind is limited I would assume they can do what they want.. But in a field edge setting with wind and if they are not dropping straight down and are pitching out I would tend to believe it even if they have to do a fishhook to catch wind or pitch left or right. .

Something I have not payed much attention to but will this spring especially on high wind days..

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 28th, 2014, 6:04 am

icdedturkes wrote:
Treerooster wrote:I have also heard the theory that turkeys won't move towards the sun early in the am because the sun is in their eyes. The guy said they go west in the morning. Hmmm why not N or S or SE or...

If your referencing Gulvas I believe that was more along the lines of why they sometimes circle your calling position. Thats what I took from the DVD.. Not a statement that determines their daily activities.. I have seen similar statements thrown out with rutting bucks, they will only walk into the wind.. Well in our States case with predominant west winds during the fall, the Lake Michigan shoreline would be lined with bucks. :lol:

Not referencing Mr. Gulvas, but another member on a different forum. I believe I have that Gulvas tape I think you are referring to and I do think Gulvas knows what he was talking about. Its a good tape.

As for waterfowl...I don't hunt them as much as you do in a season, but I have waterfowl hunted hard over 30 years. In that time I have seen 1 goose land with the wind. BW Teal are the only duck I know that land with the wind on a somewhat regular basis. It is still VERY rare but I have seen them do it several times. The little jets are my favorite duck to hunt.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 28th, 2014, 6:43 am

Treerooster wrote:
Not referencing Mr. Gulvas, but another member on a different forum. I believe I have that Gulvas tape I think you are referring to and I do think Gulvas knows what he was talking about. Its a good tape.

As for waterfowl...I don't hunt them as much as you do in a season, but I have waterfowl hunted hard over 30 years. In that time I have seen 1 goose land with the wind. BW Teal are the only duck I know that land with the wind on a somewhat regular basis. It is still VERY rare but I have seen them do it several times. The little jets are my favorite duck to hunt.

And I hope that did not come off Snide.. But Denny's point does make sense even when beating a gobblers hearing ya still gotta beat his eyes and perception. .

Ah Bluewings, its lookin like we may have our first teal season this year.. We are a huge producer of BW but many push out before opening day.. Gonna have to scout some other areas this year, spots I typically hunt are not real Teal friendly.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 28th, 2014, 9:41 am

icdedturkes wrote:
And I hope that did not come off Snide

Not at all Tom. I read enough of your posts over the years to know where you are coming from.

Good luck with your new early teal season. Ours is only 9 days but I really enjoy it. We generally have a good population of BW's around during the early teal season. Some years are better than others but usually there is enough to make a good hunt most years. The reservoirs around here get drawn down pretty low for irrigation by late summer and the BW's love the mud flats that creates. Lots of shallow ponds around too if it hasn't been too dry.

Next

Return to Strategies