Unit 1..C-3,962__D-10,528__E-11,777__F-12,155
Unit 1..D-3,488__E-9,913__F-11,569

Unit 3..C-3,649__D-9,103__E-10,068__F-10,337
Unit 3.. D-4,202__E-8,642__F-9,829

Unit 4..D-2,773__E-3,945__F-4,184
Unit 4.. E-1,137__F-3,201

Unit 5..E-1,222__F-1,376
Unit 5..F-36
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on March 27th, 2014, 9:10 am, edited 11 times in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Re: 2014 OTC Spring tags

Postby Treerooster » January 23rd, 2014, 11:10 am

The question is; are there any turkeys left over....unfrozen I mean. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 23rd, 2014, 1:35 pm

Here is a link to the leftover page http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/springturkey.html

Looks like unit 2 had fewer applicants this year with all those tags leftover there.

There are areas the turkeys are suffering extreme weather stress. The snow is deep and the temps are cold. Reports are coming of fewer turkeys being seen. However, when temps are cold turkeys will stay roosted for up to 14 days before they die. This weekend is suppose to warm into the 30's.

I just got back from a SW NE pheasant hunt. There are suppose to be a lot of turkeys there, Vic and I saw none. The temps were in 60's so just because turkeys are not seen does not mean they are not around. Just trying to stay optimistic. We'll find the real story during our spring hunts.

Btw, hunting during mid January in 60 degrees is going to become an annual tradition for me even though the pheasants were almost as scarce as the turkeys. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » January 23rd, 2014, 11:24 pm

charlie elk wrote:Looks like unit 2 had fewer applicants this year with all those tags leftover there.

Funny as my wife didn't even get a tag and there are that many left over. The strange part is it doesn't even show she has a preference point? I am confused.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 24th, 2014, 8:41 am

ticklishtompro wrote:Funny as my wife didn't even get a tag and there are that many left over. The strange part is it doesn't even show she has a preference point? I am confused.

When she applied, did she request one of those later time periods? If not she would not have been entered into those drawings.
WDNR conducts a separate drawing for each time period, only those who apply for that period are included. For example if a hunter applies for season A as first choice; they are entered in period A's draw: residents draw first and any NR are drawn from the leftovers.
If a hunter is not drawn for A but selected B as their second choice they are included in the drawing for period B. However, all resident hunters who chose B as their first choice are drawn out first then resident hunters who would accept B as second choice are drawn, then NR B first choice and finally NR B second choice hunters.
There is no longer a year to year preference point system.
This is a convoluted licensing scheme which should have been eliminated or at least simplified a long time ago.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 24th, 2014, 4:38 pm

charlie elk wrote:
ticklishtompro wrote:Funny as my wife didn't even get a tag and there are that many left over. The strange part is it doesn't even show she has a preference point? I am confused.

When she applied, did she request one of those later time periods? If not she would not have been entered into those drawings.
WDNR conducts a separate drawing for each time period, only those who apply for that period are included. For example if a hunter applies for season A as first choice; they are entered in period A's draw: residents draw first and any NR are drawn from the leftovers.
If a hunter is not drawn for A but selected B as their second choice they are included in the drawing for period B. However, all resident hunters who chose B as their first choice are drawn out first then resident hunters who would accept B as second choice are drawn, then NR B first choice and finally NR B second choice hunters.
There is no longer a year to year preference point system.
This is a convoluted licensing scheme which should have been eliminated or at least simplified a long time ago.

Maybe it is just me but that lottery system makes sense to me. Could it be easier by having just one choice and then throwing the remaining licenses into a leftover pool and handing out preference points (like it is done in Minnesota)? Perhaps but I think the key to the entire problem is reading the regulations and ensuring that you completely understand the drawing procedure then filling your application out according to the drawing procedure.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 27th, 2014, 12:53 pm

hey all you wisconsin turkey hunting vets i have a quick question about the number of left over tags for zone 1 seasons D-F i will be in florida hunting osceolas when the zone/unit 1 left-overs go on sale & when all the left-overs go on sale that saturday there is 10,000+ tags left over for each of the seasons D-F so my question is do you all think i will be able to still get a WI unit 1 season D-F tag after i get home on the 22nd-24th??? or will they all go B4 i get home??? if thats the case i can have my brother get me a tag if need be???

thanks guys for any advise on how fast them last 3 hunt time period tags sell... like was there still tags left over after the season ended last spring ETC... thanks again

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 27th, 2014, 1:26 pm

D-E-F should not be a problem for you in unit1, D maybe?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 27th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I would be very surprised if those tags had sold out by the time you get back from FL. the past few years E and F in unit 1 have never sold out.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 28th, 2014, 3:07 pm

yes i did see 2 years ago E-F never sold out i could not remember about D... as it looks i would only have like 2-4 days to hunt in WI & thats enough time most the time but it may have to be a fly by knight hunt &or spur of the moment type hunt if theres tags left witch i think there will be...

thanks for the help guys & i hope to get over there again to hunt them WI turkeys soon...

you guys still doing a T&TH magazine/forum get together hunt in WI this year??? maybe i missed the thread if so??? thanks again & stay warm guys...

Next

Return to Wisconsin