Hevi-Shot Magnum blend vs Winchester LB XR?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
dewey

Hevi-Shot Magnum blend vs Winchester LB XR?

Postby dewey » February 18th, 2014, 5:40 pm

So I have heard great things about the Hevi-Shot HEVI-13 Magnum Blend and the new Winchester Long Beard XR. Does anyone have any input on a comparison between the two? I shoot a Browning Silver Hunter 12 gauge 3" with a Hevi-13 Turkey Choke - Invector+ with a exit diameter of 0.664.

The choke tube says it "Fits all Browning shotguns using the Invector+ barrel. Hevi-13 Turkey chokes are precisely engineered for bee-swarm-dense pattering with Hevi-13 loads. These wad-slowing chokes also pattern tightly with lead and other lead-alternative loads..."

Winchester Long Beard XR link
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchest ... l+Products

Hevi-Shot® HEVI-13 Magnum Blend link
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104567580

Does the fact that it is a Hevi-13 turkey choke mean that the Hevi-13 shells would be the best?

I understand that I could buy a box of each and test them but I figured I would ask the forum if they have any thoughts.

Thanks.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Fan Club

Re: Hevi-Shot Magnum blend vs Winchester LB XR?

Postby Fan Club » February 23rd, 2014, 9:09 am

My thought is that if you get him at 25 yards dead to rights, yer' Grandpa's cardboard low brass shells will do the trick...

All kidding aside I haven't seen the LB XR for sale locally yet, only in the Cabelas catalog. Ones thing's for sure right off the top, the LB XR at 18.99 for 10 is a whole lot more appealing than 37.00 for 5 on the HS blended. (rebate aside)

Your choke tube should work for any turkey load, just some better than others. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to hit the range and punch some paper. If you have the discretionary income, by all means let us know how XR and HS compare. Me I'm still laying 'em down with the Federal 4s I've been using for almost 20 years and striving to become a better turkey hunter, not a better long range shot. Please don't take that as knock on what you want to do Dewey, to each his own my brother! ;)
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

dewey

Postby dewey » February 23rd, 2014, 11:40 am

Fan Club wrote:My thought is that if you get him at 25 yards dead to rights, yer' Grandpa's cardboard low brass shells will do the trick...

All kidding aside I haven't seen the LB XR for sale locally yet, only in the Cabelas catalog. Ones thing's for sure right off the top, the LB XR at 18.99 for 10 is a whole lot more appealing than 37.00 for 5 on the HS blended. (rebate aside)

Your choke tube should work for any turkey load, just some better than others. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to hit the range and punch some paper. If you have the discretionary income, by all means let us know how XR and HS compare. Me I'm still laying 'em down with the Federal 4s I've been using for almost 20 years and striving to become a better turkey hunter, not a better long range shot. Please don't take that as knock on what you want to do Dewey, to each his own my brother! ;)

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I plan to get a box of Hevi Shot13 magnum blend, the new Winchester LB XR and a box of Winchester #5's and do like you said and punch some paper.

I will do the shooting over Easter weekend and I will post the results here.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 23rd, 2014, 7:32 pm

Hey Dewey, Im planning on doing some more shooting the next two days comparing the Longbeards to the Double X's. As far as my first half test went Im really not impressed with the Longbeards. Hopefully, I will tell more about them in the next day or two. If I have any left over I have no problem sending a couple up there. I have the 3.5" #5 and #6. With that .664 choke that should throw them for quite a distance. If that will work for you just send me an email but if the 3.5" is too much for you I understand. :lol: :lol: 8-)

Now Im just curious, what are you using now? Why are you looking at the Hevi Mags? IMO, if what you are using now works why change. I just don't understand why pay over $7 a shell when a little over a buck shell (Winchchester Double X) kills just as many within 40 yards.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » February 24th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Ive heard this years hevi 13 and magnum blends have changed components. patterns aren't as good as years past.
Twitter: @edvogler

dewey

Postby dewey » February 24th, 2014, 4:15 pm

kygobbler wrote:Hey Dewey, Im planning on doing some more shooting the next two days comparing the Longbeards to the Double X's. As far as my first half test went Im really not impressed with the Longbeards. Hopefully, I will tell more about them in the next day or two. If I have any left over I have no problem sending a couple up there. I have the 3.5" #5 and #6. With that .664 choke that should throw them for quite a distance. If that will work for you just send me an email but if the 3.5" is too much for you I understand. :lol: :lol: 8-).

We don't need the 3.5" shell up here because we are better at getting the turkey closer :lol: :lol: :lol: My shotgun is a 3" so the 3.5" won't work, obviously, but thanks for the offer.

My ultimate goal is to have my calling be so good that I talk the turkey into committing suicide therefore saving me the cost of the shell.

kygobbler wrote:Now Im just curious, what are you using now? Why are you looking at the Hevi Mags? IMO, if what you are using now works why change. I just don't understand why pay over $7 a shell when a little over a buck shell (Winchchester Double X) kills just as many within 40 yards.

I am currently shooting Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey Loads 3" 1.75 oz. 4 shot (STH1234) but I am almost out of them. I figured if I am almost out of shells I mentioned now is a good time to do some testing to see what goes best with my shotgun and choke setup. My thought was that I will see what the difference in patterning is between a Hevi-Shot-13 Magnum Blend, Winchester LB XR #5 and one of the following (Winchester Double X or Winchester Super X).

If anyone ahs any experience with the Winchester Double X or Winchester Super X to point me one way or the other I would greatly appreciate it.

Hevi Shot-13 Magnum 3"= Cost of $28.99 per box of 5 - $10 rebate therefore a cost of =~$3.80 per shell.
Winchester Long Beard XR 3" #5 = Cost of $18.99 per box of 10 = ~$1.90 per shell.
Winchester Super X 3" #5 = Cost of $10.99 per box of 10 = ~$1.10 per shell.
Winchester Double X 3" #5= Cost of $15.99 per box of 10 = ~$1.60 per shell.

Then step back and look at cost versus patterning results.

eddie234 wrote:Ive heard this years hevi 13 and magnum blends have changed components. patterns aren't as good as years past.

I saw that as well on a post over on GSN, see link #1 below, but after reading Clark's response, page 4 of the link #2 below, I am going to try them myself and see what the results are.

http://www.grandslamnetwork.com/network ... =11&t=3608

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/t ... 738.0.html

Dewey

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 24th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Dewey, we need the 3.5" shells down here because the turkeys are so darn big that they just look at you and laugh if you try anything smaller. :lol: :lol:

Hey I do have some great Hornady 3" shells that I will be glad to give you. Matter of fact, I have a box and a halve of them for you if you want them. ;) :D I bought them two years ago or when ever it was when they first come out. They are so good I don't think they should be legal to use for turkey hunting. These shells can take a bird out from 200 yards. :mrgreen:

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 24th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Dewey PM sent
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Shooting