Gobbling

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
turkey junky

Re: Gobbling

Postby turkey junky » February 20th, 2014, 3:29 pm

i do hear a difference in jake yelps i guess thats more simple??? i hear them jakes yelp alot of times just after a longbeard gobbles they have that more keyelk keyelk keyelk sound & or gobble & roll into a keyelk....

once i started using male turkey sounds & kee keeing during the spring season especially early season i started to see more male turkeys go figure??? when i only used to just hen yelps alot & cuts but mainly hen noises i would call in a boat load of hens cant kill them so i maid a change for in my case the better but i have called in a few hunters but i have done that with hen yelps alot i guess they figure a gobbler is with the hen & come in for a look that is freaky i wont lie!!!

yeah at 35$ S/H included for the turkey hunters bible & calling is everything DVD i thought what the hell i better get it B4 i head off to FL,WY,MO,MT this spring a few states i have not bagged a bird in yet to increase my odds a little... lol its a good deal... hookspurs book may be next???

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 20th, 2014, 4:44 pm

The DVD with the great gobbler yelping from the tree is the latest Chasing Spring DVD.. Rays DVDs are a nice change of pace, kinda have an old school feel to them and not full of commercialized.

dewey

Postby dewey » February 21st, 2014, 12:03 am

I have never used a gobble call hut after reading the reviews from you guys it is very apparent that I need to get one.

WRC can you do a "calling school for the gobble call"? I think you did a great job of explaining it but more details about when, why, how and other tips on the use if the gobble call will certainly add a few more key tricks to Dewey's vest. Possibly even decoy setups with the gobble call and hen/gobbler gobbled and gobbled yelps.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have learned something new today.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 21st, 2014, 9:31 am

dewey wrote:I have never used a gobble call hut after reading the reviews from you guys it is very apparent that I need to get one.

WRC can you do a "calling school for the gobble call"? I think you did a great job of explaining it but more details about when, why, how and other tips on the use if the gobble call will certainly add a few more key tricks to Dewey's vest. Possibly even decoy setups with the gobble call and hen/gobbler gobbled and gobbled yelps.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have learned something new today.

Dewey

I'll have a chat with scoot and see what we can come up with.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

shaman

Postby shaman » February 21st, 2014, 10:09 am

Gobbling? As I've said, I have been hesitant for quite some time.

However, gobbler and jake yelping I have tried. I keep a thick 1/4" lucite striker handy that gives a deeper-than-usual sound. Usually somewhere in the middle of one of my pot calls, I can manage a deep yelp. I use it mostly in the fall, because that is mostly when I hear it from the turkeys, but I do use it in the spring. In a pinch I can manage it with just my mouth too.

It's always been sort of last-ditch thing for me in the spring, like when a gob hangs up at 60 yards or when I see an otherwise unresponsive gob out wandering. Both fall and spring it seems like a friendly yelp or two or a deep cluck will bring them in at least close enough to have a peek.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 21st, 2014, 10:50 am

Anothher great call to use Shay is a lower pitched KeeKee, That is the first call I go to if a bird hangs up or won't pay attention to hen talk, also a great call to use on henned up birds, I've pulled a lot of gobblers away from 6/10 hens using that call. The hens will come, but the gobbler always beats them there first. A lot of hunters won't use a keekee in the spring, but it is a deadly call to use!!! Just ask Treerooster on what a keekee will do in the spring.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 21st, 2014, 11:04 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: Just ask Treerooster on what a keekee will do in the spring.

You don't wanna ask me cause I will tell the kee kee is no good.

I kee kee and the bird finally breaks and comes in...and I miss him. That is no good. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 21st, 2014, 12:04 pm

:lol: , your right the miss was bad :P , but that tom that was reluctent to come to your hen calling because of all those jakes packs that kept running him off every time he set foot into the open field, came on the run through those jake mobs and down the edge of the field as soon as you decided to try kee keeing in the spring :o .

I talked with scoot to see if he wanted to make a turkey school post for Gobbling and Jake talk. We'll try?
I want to do the,
adult gobble
subdominent adult gobble ( a bird thats been put in his place by the boss gobbler)
jake gobble
jake gobble/yelps
gobbler clucks
jake culp
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 21st, 2014, 1:02 pm

yes willowridgecalls let them set in stone only use hen yelps & breeding calls only guys keep on doing what works for them or dosent but i also agree that the kee kee in the spring season is deadly i also use it most every time i get a hung up gobbler & or flock of birds...

i watched i think it was turkey thugs TV show a few WKs back & they asked if they used fall calls or kee kee runs & all but i think buttski said no maybe it was a re run but i just thought good for them guys not using the kee kee they dont even know how many birds they are loosing a chance to harvest...

i feel like we have let the secret out of the bag on using non spring time breeding calls 100% of the time during the spring season... i started doing it so sound different then every other hunter that had been in the woods B4 me on very hard hunted public lands it changed the way i hunt & call to birds...

nothing works every time thats turkey hunting but just because its the spring breeding season dose not mean thats the only calls turkeys will answer or come to in the spring especially on a late cold spring season or a late season hot weather hunts times when gobblers act like shaman says kinda "GAY" only hang n with other gobblers & have no interest in hen yelps...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm

psssssssst. you guys really want to hear a lot of gobbler talk and learn how to employ it in the spring? Start hunting in the fall ;)

On second thought, don't. I like having the woods to myself :D

I agree on Ray Eye's turkey hunter's bible being a great read and well worth the money. His DvD's are also top notch. If you're interested in hearing poult and gobbler talk instead of the typical spring turkey DVD soundtrack check out his fall hunting DvDs, Boys of Autumn and Legends of Fall.

PreviousNext

Return to Calling