winchester longbeard xr

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
charlie elk

Re: winchester longbeard xr

Postby charlie elk » February 20th, 2014, 2:34 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:No offence guys, but at 15 and 25 yards there should of been a hole big enough to stick your fist through, shooting a .665 choke

I don't work for Winchester, no offence taken, but then it's nearly impossible to offend charlie. ;) If they shot that tight you might as well use slugs, making them worthless for turkeys.

kygobbler wrote:When I talked to the Winchester rep at the NWTF show he told me that they would do good in a more open choke. He said that it will keep people from using .650 chokes.

These were 3". I tried IC because that's what was in my gun to start from shooting the Federal flight control turkey loads last fall. The pattern was spread more than a regular shell. Then I switched to the Carlson Turkey full, which is .665, much better. Perhaps a M or IM would work, didn't have time to try them.

kygobbler wrote:They had targets that were shot at 60, 66, and 70 yards. IMO, the shot pattern was not very good. It did have about 5 pellets in the kill zone but to me that is still hoping that the magic pellet hits the right spot.
That's interesting, there are some pictures posted by Winchester with 30 pellets in a 10" circle at 60yds. Starting to smell some marketing hype? No matter, all of my turkeys are killed much closer.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

air leak

Postby air leak » February 20th, 2014, 6:09 pm

dewey wrote:Is this the product you guys are talking about?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104567580

Looks like the reviews are great and $38 for a box of 10 isn't too bad.

Charlie let us know how it patterns when it finally warms up.

Dewey

For 38 bucks, I can get 2 boxes of 12 Ga. Remington Magnum Turkey Loads, 3 inch, 2 oz of # 4 shot. And, I will kill turkeys out to 45 yards, just as dead.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 21st, 2014, 7:49 am

Yesterday, I left work early and picked up a box of 3.5" #5 and #6. I was in hurry since a thunderstorm was almost on top of me. Here are the results.

Here is what the #6's at 30 yards looked like. I fired two times and both went way left. This might be due to me trying to hurry since it was lighting.

LB XR.jpg
LB XR.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Here is what the #5's looked like at 30 yards. Again I shot to left two times. I decided to shoot a round at 40 yards and braced beside a tree and the shot went high.

LB XR#5.jpg
LB XR#5.jpg (88.03 KiB) Viewed 676 times

I don't know if I like them or not. I know they are too much off target but I believe that was more on the shooter than anything. Next time Im off and its a calmer day I will give them another try and compare them to the Supremes, well Double X as they are now called.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 21st, 2014, 11:15 am

It might not be you KY. Changing a choke or even a shell can change POI in a gun.

Last spring I was setting up a BPS as my backup turkey gun. I was using the same shell (Win HV #6 shot) and tried 2 different chokes. An Indian Creek .665 and a Carlson .680. Shooting from a solid rest in a lead sled at 40 yds the IC choke shot 1 foot to the left and the Carlson was right on. I was just shooting beads but shot 3 times each and the POI's were consistent.

My main turkey gun, a TC Encore, is notorious for shifting POI/POA when using different shells or chokes. I have seen as much as a 14 inch different POI by just changing shells while using the same choke.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » February 21st, 2014, 10:24 pm

sorry i havnt been on in a while to check my post.thanks for running with it and giving some good info. i usually shoot lead because i shoot most birds inside 30 and i know thats all i need . the tech behind these shells is pretty cool. nice to see a big manufacture making something the average man can afford to shoot.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 23rd, 2014, 9:38 am

Here is the correct pricing for the Winchester LB XR according to Cabela's catalog-

LB XR...3"..... 18.99 per 10
LB XR...3.5"... 22.99 per 10

Also according to the one review on the Cabelas site from KYs link, the reviewer said he counted 103 pellets in a 12" square at 50 yards. The load obviously liked his choke tube.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 24th, 2014, 9:36 am

I switched to Hevi SHot the very first year it was commercially available, it was a white roll crimp that was 2 3/4 inches long and had 1 5/8 oz of shot.. It was not necessarily the penetration that sold me but the ease of getting acceptable patterns.. That was the greatest benefit of Hevi.. Essentially it was cheaper to spend a little more for ammo but not have to buy 3-4-5-6 etc chokes to get acceptable performance..

The lead loads we have had available have not been great.. I want 150 ish type numbers at 40 and in most cases one has to do considerable legwork to get the modern lead shotshells to achieve those type of numbers, longbeard has attained that and far surpassed expectations. .

The B E A U T I F U L thing about this loading is that it seems to be very very forgiving of choke, gun and barrel length.. If one is not looking to get into the internet pissing contests over a few more pellets, essentially any choke stamped turkey or X full is producing more than adequate results to kill every turkey at 40 yards, something like I mentioned was difficult with other lead offerings.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » February 24th, 2014, 3:27 pm

a few years ago I posted a question about what would you do if your favorite shell got discontinued, mostly everyone replied that they had a shell and choke combo that worked they had stocked up on the shell's. I took that advised and have enough hevi 13 3" #6's to last for a number of years.
Twitter: @edvogler

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm

eddie234 wrote:a few years ago I posted a question about what would you do if your favorite shell got discontinued, mostly everyone replied that they had a shell and choke combo that worked they had stocked up on the shell's. I took that advised and have enough hevi 13 3" #6's to last for a number of years.

I got screwed years ago when Activ sold out.. I moved to white hevis and upon discontinuation bought ALOT.. With Environmetal it is good to even stock up when you find a lot number that does well for you because they are constantly changing not only shells but components.. Sad thing is alot of folks cannot afford to do so at some of the ammo prices today.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 24th, 2014, 4:09 pm

icdedturkes wrote:
eddie234 wrote:a few years ago I posted a question about what would you do if your favorite shell got discontinued, mostly everyone replied that they had a shell and choke combo that worked they had stocked up on the shell's. I took that advised and have enough hevi 13 3" #6's to last for a number of years.

I got screwed years ago when Activ sold out.. I moved to white hevis and upon discontinuation bought ALOT.. With Environmetal it is good to even stock up when you find a lot number that does well for you because they are constantly changing not only shells but components.. Sad thing is alot of folks cannot afford to do so at some of the ammo prices today.

Do you think the Win Longbeards will change over time? Win changed the XR shell.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting