Leaf Suit

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Fan Club

RE: Leaf Suit

Postby Fan Club » March 12th, 2009, 11:59 am

I don't own one, but they have their place. I can see it being beneficial if you hunted or had to cross areas without much cover and were getting caught out in the open on a regular basis. At that point a leafy blob beats relying on standard camo. Don't forget, you have to fool all of the animals in the vacinity, not just the turkeys.

A leafy suit can also aid hunters that have trouble holding still. A friend of mine's brother always moved at inopportune times and constantly got busted. After he got a leafy suit he started killing turkeys. Then again, maybe he just improved as a turkey hunter. [8|]

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 12th, 2009, 12:26 pm

I have an very basic one I got several years ago from a local manufacturer that was a prototype I was given to test. It is a fine mesh that I wear over top of any camo mostly to help keep bugs at bay.  It helps me blend, doesn't weigh much and is very effective keeping the skeeters off me.  It must not have fared well, because I don't recall ever seeing them sold anywhere. I have seen similar models, but they appear to be higher quality that this one.   It has jagged strips sewn down the length of the front and along the sleeves, with no strips where it would interfere with movement. There is no substitute for being still.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 12th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Hey Wade,

A friend gave me a leafy suit, probably 10+ years ago. It has some unknown pattern on it, a mixture of several shades of brown, green and gray. It was very noisy, so I washed it in plain water and dried it several times until it was very quiet. It has a mesh base, it's very light and air flows through it very easily.

I have no idea who made it and have never seen another one just like it.

I've worn the jacket and/or pants for part of the spring and turkey seasons for all these years, in various parts of the country with different terrain and brush, trees, etc. When I've done my part, I've not been "busted" by a turkey or any other animal.

I can't tell you that it's any better than any other type of camo but I can tell you that I feel very confident in it and that makes some difference to me and how I hunt. I think that's one of the most important parts of any camo, how we feel about it.

I have a friend who hunts in an old set of coveralls that I spray painted with some stencils because he wanted camo but didn't want to spend the money to buy some. He's hunted in those things for years, and shot 2 or 3 turkeys a year. He swears by those coveralls, feels confident in them and they help him get his birds every year.

Whatever works.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 12th, 2009, 4:44 pm

I have one made by whitewater wouldn't hunt without it used it 5yrs. and it is still in good shape.
Cabelas came out with GIL-LEAF it is also good but not enough of pockets.
TB

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 12th, 2009, 5:35 pm

I have used leaf suits ever since they have been available. I started with Cabelas leafy wear, but they had no hood or pockets. Later I found Mirage wear and loved those but when they started to fade I found they could not be replaced. I tried Ghillie Leaf but it was to warm and after one season they looked like some old rag. I found mirage wear after a painful search but they had changed the material and they had become to noisy. I switched last year to Shannons Big leaf they have nice big pockets and a good hood. I find up north here the black flys can get brutal by mid morning and I can walk with the face mask down and it keeps the bugs at bay. Its a good thing I have kids that hunt, so I can pass down all the stuff I don't use anymore.
live to hunt hunt to live

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 13th, 2009, 3:22 am

I've always been hesitant to use one for fear of being mistaken for Bigfoot.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

kcfishnerd

Postby kcfishnerd » March 13th, 2009, 4:04 am

Thanks for all the input.  I hate hunting from a pop-up blind so I figured this should help me pull my bow back without getting busted.  I do use a 2' high camo cloth staked to the ground to sit behind.  Hopefully I can get the setup right and pull it off this year.   

Dank

Postby Dank » March 16th, 2009, 4:25 pm

i have a realtree pro suit by whitewater and love it. I had toyed with the idea and just didnt want to pay for one but i got it for christmas last year and the secod bird i killed last year came in silent and caught me with my gun down. I was set up in some cedars and he strutted within 5 yards hung ther for about 90 seconds went back down the fire lane and i shot him at twenty yards. Needless to say i am sold on my leafy suit and wont be caught dead in the turkey woods without it.

ken ryals

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » March 17th, 2009, 3:08 pm

There worth there money in gold when its hot out...zipperman

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion