Confessions of a Turkey Stalker

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: Confessions of a Turkey Stalker

Postby shaman » March 16th, 2009, 1:45 am

I'm glad we can all see the distinction. If you are closing with no intentions of calling that's the tactic that must be eschewed.  That's stalking.  So is closing and calling with no intentions of stopping.

As to the morbidity of turkey hunting, I'm not sure.  I've seen headlines out there that indicate a state here and there is having their safest season ever.  However, I also remember a story in recent years where Kentucky had 8 turkey hunting accidents, and everyone was appalled.  Whatever the statistics, there is no reason to let your guard down.

I get to sounding like the safety patrol around here at times; I published those safety tips a few weeks ago.  The thing folks have to remember is that turkey hunters have a special set of problems that requires defensive hunting.  They're calling, and they're hiding, and sometimes they're up and moving.  The best way we can insure we're being careful is, at some point in the hunt, putting our butt on the ground, our back to a tree and making the gobbler come to us.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

JPH

Postby JPH » March 16th, 2009, 2:23 am

ORIGINAL: paboxcall
 [font="timesnewromanpsmt"]When you refer to moving on a gobbler above, you are now purposely being misleading.  That is not at all what we are talking about.  Repositioning on a gobbling bird, and calling to him from each of your different set-up locations is part of the game -- actually that is the core of what we do as spring hunters, either in the heat of the battle or when cutting/running.  That's what is fascinating about spring season, its like a chess match.   But you need two players for chess -- you call, gobbler responds.  Bird calls, you respond.  Stalking, on the other hand, is a one sided game, and as you admited in post #1, stalking is achieved only with stealth and without calling.  You stated "It was one of my greatest turkey hunting experiences. It required physical stamina, patience, and stealth. In fact, it required everything but calling." Good thing you're not a PA resident.  I think any PA Game Commissioner would have cited you for the behavior you described in your first post.  Stalking is moving into shotgun range and shooting that bird without making a single turkey call or sound to alert either the gobbler of your presence, or perhaps another hunter pinned down and silent near that gobbler.  In your first post you admitted to stalking, and being proud of the fact you didn't need to call when you killed a gobbler while getting to his comfort zone.  Hence the title of this thread -- 'confessions of a stalker.' And for you to cite the act of pulling the trigger as the root cause is short sighted.  Ask yourself 'WHY did he pull the trigger?  Can't be considered root cause till you exhaust the circumstances that led to the event of the shooting.  Pulling the trigger is the last action in a long line of bad judgement and poor decision making that put that stalker in position to shoot, and my good friend on the business end of the barrel. 

paboxcall, it is unfortunate that my op lead you to some false conclusions about my hunting style or the particular hunt in question. Please read my subsequent posts in which I expand on things. Misleading? Apparently. Purposely misleading? Absolutely not!

I had been calling the tom in question and I continued to as I worked in on him (in a wide open area) with only a shallow creek to use for cover. He jsut would not respond to my calling. In fact, when I emerged from the cover, I knew he had to be close and my intent was to call him to me with very soft calling. I did so and his head popped up in range. Bang. I called, it just had nothing to do with the outcome.

I only relate this to make you feel better, not me. I see no ethical or safety related reason why it matters. How would the lack of calling made that hunt unsafe? How does the fact that I did call to no avail make me a "better" hunter?

I think we have clearly established that stalking is illegal in PA and if I had hunted there I would end up in the stocks. I get it, but from what I have read PA's game laws are some of the most convoluted and unpopular in the country. If you are happy with them, so am I because it is your state, but I am not breaking the law in Iowa or Missouri.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 16th, 2009, 5:40 am

Fan Club my mindset is not to go out and HAVE to kill a turkey by whatever means I can.

I enjoy the battle, seeing them in the wild,calling to them and getting a response...if I spot one and he won't come into to my calling, I don't feel the need to stalk him down and blow his head off (who can't do that?), I will feel as though my calling/woodsmanship didn't live up to the battle and he won that day.

So to answer your question they can't be the same person IMO

What if they are the same person
ORIGINAL: Fan Club

What if they are the same person?

I know a lot of hunters, and a slew of members here, that have admitted to and don't have a problem with hunting both ways.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

longspur

Postby longspur » March 16th, 2009, 6:33 am

Turkey hunting is meant to be fun. If we have different methods to make this so, more power to those with different tactics. If the tecnique is legal, hunt that way if you choose. If certain methods are illegal, don't do it. I agree that most accidents are a result of poor judgement, whether or not there was more bad judgements than just the trigger pull that lead up to the incident. Regardless, the trigger was pulled and an accident ensued.
I would have to say, in my opinion, that the Pennsylvania rule is very vague. I know that "stalking" to some may be an "end around", or creaping up on a bird to get in range, and so on. But this only enforces my point, What exactly is "stalking" This rule should be defined, because people have different views on it. If the definition from the dictionary holds true, many of the methods we use, "being stealthy,(positioning without the bird knowing), creaping, would not be allowed. It matters none whether or not you call to let the bird know your there. To me, this is more dangerous. Walking and calling is a bad idea(in combination). However, I feel that stalking isn't the cause of accidents, it is the result of an unethical hunter who feels he can pop shots at an un-identified object. Turkey hunting or not.
Too, If someone shoots decoys, they are just plain dumb. Realistic ones or not, they don't move, or it is unrealistic movements. If someone thinks a gobble box, or gobble call is a real bird, come on. They sound nothing like the real thing.
Regardless, hunt the way you want as long as you put safety first, and have fun. Either way it is a risk we all take. -Kevin

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 16th, 2009, 7:51 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: paboxcall
[font=timesnewromanpsmt]When you refer to moving on a gobbler above, you are now purposely being misleading.  That is not at all what we are talking about.  Repositioning on a gobbling bird, and calling to him from each of your different set-up locations is part of the game -- actually that is the core of what we do as spring hunters, either in the heat of the battle or when cutting/running.  That's what is fascinating about spring season, its like a chess match.   But you need two players for chess -- you call, gobbler responds.  Bird calls, you respond.  Stalking, on the other hand, is a one sided game, and as you admited in post #1, stalking is achieved only with stealth and without calling.  You stated "It was one of my greatest turkey hunting experiences. It required physical stamina, patience, and stealth. In fact, it required everything but calling." Good thing you're not a PA resident.  I think any PA Game Commissioner would have cited you for the behavior you described in your first post.  Stalking is moving into shotgun range and shooting that bird without making a single turkey call or sound to alert either the gobbler of your presence, or perhaps another hunter pinned down and silent near that gobbler.  In your first post you admitted to stalking, and being proud of the fact you didn't need to call when you killed a gobbler while getting to his comfort zone.  Hence the title of this thread -- 'confessions of a stalker.' And for you to cite the act of pulling the trigger as the root cause is short sighted.  Ask yourself 'WHY did he pull the trigger?  Can't be considered root cause till you exhaust the circumstances that led to the event of the shooting.  Pulling the trigger is the last action in a long line of bad judgement and poor decision making that put that stalker in position to shoot, and my good friend on the business end of the barrel. 

paboxcall, it is unfortunate that my op lead you to some false conclusions about my hunting style or the particular hunt in question. Please read my subsequent posts in which I expand on things. Misleading? Apparently. Purposely misleading? Absolutely not!

I had been calling the tom in question and I continued to as I worked in on him (in a wide open area) with only a shallow creek to use for cover. He jsut would not respond to my calling. In fact, when I emerged from the cover, I knew he had to be close and my intent was to call him to me with very soft calling. I did so and his head popped up in range. Bang. I called, it just had nothing to do with the outcome.

I only relate this to make you feel better, not me. I see no ethical or safety related reason why it matters. How would the lack of calling made that hunt unsafe? How does the fact that I did call to no avail make me a "better" hunter?

I think we have clearly established that stalking is illegal in PA and if I had hunted there I would end up in the stocks. I get it, but from what I have read PA's game laws are some of the most convoluted and unpopular in the country. If you are happy with them, so am I because it is your state, but I am not breaking the law in Iowa or Missouri.

Good discussion JPH.  I wish you all the luck this spring.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 17th, 2009, 4:51 am

It seems to me maybe JPH got the title to this post wrong. I believe it should have been more on the lines of  Confessions of a bushwhack. 
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

JPH

Postby JPH » March 17th, 2009, 6:02 am

Really Ozarks Hillbilly? Have you actually read through this thread? Can you explain your statement?

JPH

Postby JPH » March 17th, 2009, 6:28 am

You know, I think I should add a little more to my respose to Ozark Hillbilly's post.

I really don't care what someone chooses to call me, as long as it is not "poacher". That was the whole reason behind the thread, to challenge the toboo of stalking.

I do, however, sense that it was intended to be an insult. That is the problem that I continue to have with the way things work on this forum. If you dislike or disagree with me then come and explain yourself. These drive-by, cheap shots do nothing to enhance the discussion or help shed light on the topic.

So Ozark Hillbilly, please return with a more detailed explination of what you are trying to say and bring examples. I will gladly engage you, or anyone here, in a respectful discussion of the isssue in hopes that we may both grow from it.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 17th, 2009, 6:40 am

In the original post you confessed to bushwhacking one of your biggest turkeys to date. After that it just sounds like you spend your time getting as close to the bird and into the best calling location that you can. I consider that stalking but I don't see that as a bad thing I thought thats the way you hunt turkeys. I guess stalking means different things to different hunters. Just sneaking into shot gun range and shooting a bird is a Bushwhack in my book. But stalking as close as you think you can get to the birds location to call from whether that is 50 yards or 150 yards is turkey hunting. So I say you confessed to a bushwhack and the rest is just turkey hunting.  Maybe I am wrong or I missed the whole point somewhere along the line.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

longspur

Postby longspur » March 17th, 2009, 7:01 am

This "bushwacking", or "stalking" are just silly names for ways people go about turkey hunting. It has been done since man started hunting. Why the hostility in every post? I can't stand when people have to cheapshot their way through and can't explain their thought process on the situation. Stop the non-sense. We all have different methods we implement to tag birds or get the thrill out of a hunt, whether or not a bird is tagged. Not everyone has the same thoughts on these certain methods, but have respect. You aren't always going to agree or be agreed with, so just have respect and you will get the same back. -Kevin

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion