Rifle for Turkey

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
wfolds

Rifle for Turkey

Postby wfolds » February 9th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Any one use rifle for Turkey. I have a 12 ga. but was thinking of using a 22 mag. I live in Florida which allows turkey hunting with a rifle
Last edited by wfolds on February 10th, 2014, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dewey

Re: Rifle for Turkey

Postby dewey » February 9th, 2014, 6:22 pm

wfolds wrote:Any one use rifle for Turkey. I have a 12 ga. but was thinking of using a 22 mag

I have not because the states I have hunted in do not allow rifles. Some folks on here may have. What part of the country do you hunt in?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

retranger

Postby retranger » February 9th, 2014, 7:00 pm

shot gun only in New York.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 12th, 2014, 10:54 am

wfolds wrote:y one use rifle for Turkey. I have a 12 ga. but was thinking of using a 22 mag. I live in Florida which allows turkey hunting with a rifle

Im curious, why would you want to do that? IMO, that would take all the fun and aggrevation out of the hunt. There is no challenge in shooting a bird with a rifle compared to a shotgun or bow. You can sit back pick them off from a 100 yards easy providing you have a good scope and its spot on.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 12th, 2014, 11:47 am

Most hunter don't care to use a rifle even if it is legal, safty reasons for one reason, you can shoot farther that you can see clearly, and you may miss seeing a hunter in full camo. The biggest reason most don't like rifles is because of Hunting Ethics that's why most hunters won't shoot a bird over 40 yards, yes you can, but most won't. Myself I would like to try and take one with a rifle, but the only rifle I'd be using would be a 32 or 36 cal. muzzleloader with open sights, your short range effectiveness would make it a lot more fun and a lot safer, but it is a safty issue anyway you look at it.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 12th, 2014, 12:00 pm

I have hunted alot of times in rifle legal areas but have never toted a rifle.. Personally as long as folks stay within their realm of personal ethical ranges whether it be 25 or 50 yards I see nothing against it ethically.. I cannot see where shooting a swarm of pellets 20 inches in diameter is more difficult than shooting single projectile at the small vital areas on a gobbler.

shaman

Postby shaman » February 12th, 2014, 7:30 pm

I've thought about it, and wish KY would allow a rifle. A target 38 Special load would be more than enough, and fired straight out from a sitting position, it would be in the ground within 120 yards or less. However, I've brought this subject up in the past, and been promptly shouted down by my peers, so I'm not going to make a fuss over it.

My reason for fantasizing about it is more about recoil and economy. Recoil? Look, a 12 GA turkey gun can recoil as much as a 416 Rigby-- an elephant gun. That's ridiculous when a 38 Special fired from a lever action rifle can hardly be felt. Economy? Folks thing nothing of blowin $7 on a turkey round. I can load 38 special target loads for . . . $.25/round? Less?

Now mind you, I normally take my turkeys inside 20 yards, and I don't see that changing. I just think it would be cheaper and easier to tote a little lever 1894 than a big Mossy 500 around.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

pahunt1234

Postby pahunt1234 » February 14th, 2014, 5:32 pm

I wouldn't use a rifle personally. I don't even use heavy shot or "superfull" choke tubes. For me, if I cant bring him in within 25 or 30 yards, I have no interest in shooting that gobbler. But that's just me, and to each his own.

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » February 17th, 2014, 8:30 pm

shooting a turkey with a rifle ethically is a whole lot harder than it looks. your aiming for the same spot your still nervous and usually taking a free hand shot. a 22mag isnt so bad on the meat but a larger deer rifle will literally implode a bird. ive missed way more birds with a rifle then with a shotgun.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

wfolds

Postby wfolds » March 3rd, 2014, 6:02 pm

Thanks guys for each and every response. What I take from this post is that the "Turkey Hunting Purist" would never use a rifle to hunt turkeys. Those that think out of the box and like to hunt with a rifle would and some do hunt with a rifle. Taking into account the safety factor I can appreciate the concern if a person isn't aware of his surroundings and is hunting in areas that have a lot of hunters. I too, would not consider using a rifle in such areas, but the area that I am hunting is private lands where I know my backstop and there are no other hunters in the area. I may change my mind after this first hunt, but for now I will use my 22 mag loaded with Hornady 30gr V-Max bullets. I will see how it goes and adjust as time goes by. Thanks again for all the help.
Good hunting
Walter

Next

Return to Shooting