Conclusion: Walking Tall, Falling Short

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 4th, 2011, 5:43 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The jig was up, and we had to shoot immediately, so there was only one choice.

"Shoot him," I hissed.

"No, it's your shot," Egge replied.

"Kill him!" I said.

Egge obliged, piling the gobbler up with a well-placed load of No. 5 shot. I was relieved.

"That should've been your bird," Egge said as we knelt over the flopping 3-year-old gobbler.

"I'd have been mad if you didn't shoot," I said.

I meant it, too. It would have been a shame to let such good fortune slip through our fingers, whether my tag or Egge's went on the bird's leg.

And do you know what? I killed a bird on my out-of-state trip, zipped back for one final day of Wisconsin hunting and shot a redemption gobbler with Egge. Sometimes, things work out -- even if you feel you've come up a bit short.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get all the great new turkey hunting gear you need for the Spring 2011 season.

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Walking Tall, Falling Short

Postby dewey » February 4th, 2011, 6:16 am

Good decision Brian.

Thanks for posting these as these are great learning tools for myself.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time