CONFESSIONS OF A TURKEY HUNTER

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

RE: CONFESSIONS OF A TURKEY HUNTER

Postby tracebusta32 » March 14th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Mark, great original post....I have to say that we think alike on that
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 14th, 2009, 4:38 pm

You sound like me. I shot my first turkey in 1978 but didn't get serious about it until 1995. WOW all those years in between  wasted....
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

JPH

Postby JPH » March 14th, 2009, 6:13 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

it actually started in the early '70s,,,,,,,but my determination ,addiction ,passion ,obsession began in '98,,,,wish i had all that in the '70s.

I'm glad you found it. Determination and passion I mean. It makes life and hunting meaningful.

I don't think you should feel bad about who you were back in the 70's though. We are all on a journey, the 70 sound like they were just a different phase of it for you.

Are hunters who do things differently than you (or me) ahead or behind in the journey? Or they just following a different path, leading to the same mountain top?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 14th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Good question JPH.  Even though the ultimate goal in Turkey hunting for most of us is be successful, to some that simply means to tag a bird.  To others, Success is to also call one in, hear one gobble,or see it strut (or all of the above).  I suppose where we all fall in that journey depends on what each individual's destination is.

I remember reading about the different stages of progression in a deer hunter, where first you want to take any deer, then numbers of deer,  later to taking bucks, then to hunt by using different methods, then to pursuing trophy bucks, and on to where the hunter mainly goes afield to watch or study the animals and enjoy the nature of it all (I'm sure I left out a few, but you get my point). 

In Turkey hunting, the evolution is similar, but a lot also depends on the hunter's disposition.  I know people who have been hunting (deer) for 40 years and never gotten past stage two. It is also my contention that admiring and respecting the game you hunt is a key component of that journey.  The sooner that stage is accomplished, the more enjoyable the pursuit becomes (it is for me anyway). I don't judge the quality of the hunt by the numbers of the harvest.  Some of my more memorable hunts were trips where the Turkeys got the better of me and didn't even realize they were doing it. I can tell in great detail about a Gobbler that got within 15-20 feet behind me that I never saw or got a shot at.  Yet, his memory haunts me and I can hear him spitting & drumming in my mind like it happened 10 minutes ago. All I know about that brid is he lived to make more Turkeys which I am hunting to this day. I don't know what stage that is, but I'm there.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

JPH

Postby JPH » March 15th, 2009, 3:11 am

Good post Cut N Run. I too am familiar with the stages of hunter progression, but I've always found it to be an oversimplification.

My stage of "development" may change from day to day. This is particularly true in deer hunting. Some days it's about filling doe tags, some days it's about one mature buck. All stages are still alive within me but I had the admiration and respect for the animal thing down before I ever picked up a gun/bow.

Again, that is MY journey. As long as other hunters are safe and legal, I think we should allow their journey to go its own way without passing judgment or assuming that our path is a superior one.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 15th, 2009, 5:03 am

I would sumbit that all stages are still alive within every hunter.

I know several senior hunters that seem to have gone full circle back to stage one. Back to taking low percentage shots. Back to shooting the occasional jake "by mistake." Back to not looking around before getting up and bumping nearby birds. These hunters exibited supreme judgement and patience while in their indiviual primes and a couple were my mentors. The human mind is a mystery and no two are the same.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » March 15th, 2009, 5:23 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

...Back to not looking around before getting up and bumping nearby birds...

Now, THAT hits hits close to home. I went through several seasons where I could do no wrong. The more I moved and called, the more tags I filled. But last year was like starting all over again, and to make matters worse, when I was not making rookie mistakes the birds were whipping me fair and square.

When I did connect, it was after I anchored my butt to a big tree and refused to do anything but call and wait, just the way I was taught 20+ years ago. Full circle!

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion