Did the "experts" get something wrong?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

Did the "experts" get something wrong?

Postby allaboutshooting » February 7th, 2014, 12:41 am

This is the coldest winter we've seen, and I think not just in Southern Illinois but all over the U.S.

Did the "experts" get somethiing wrong?

For the past several years we've heard about "global warming".

Frankly, that does not seem to be happening. From what I can see, from the people I know personally, in several parts of the world, temperatures seem to be getting colder, winters are more severe and lasting longer.

This and other forums serve as a method of communicating with people all over the U.S. and elsewhere. It's the "party line" of the 21st Century. From what I can see and hear, it's the same all over, it's cold.

This is not meant to be a political question but did the "experts" get something wrong?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

retranger

Re: Did the "experts" get something wrong?

Postby retranger » February 7th, 2014, 8:24 am

I have noticed that winters are getting longer and colder!!! Don't think it has nothing to do with gw. Clark it is age :!: :lol: :lol: The winters in my area are not what they used to be. In the 60's and 70's we had much more snow than we get now and would have several -20 and -30 degree days. Many times around the end of Dec and first of Jan we would be lucky if the high would be zero. This year the winter is not bad,,, in Florida till April 15th :lol: :lol:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

retranger

Postby retranger » February 7th, 2014, 8:25 am

I have noticed that winters are getting longer and colder!!! Don't think it has nothing to do with gw. Clark it is age :!: :lol: :lol: The winters in my area are not what they used to be. In the 60's and 70's we had much more snow than we get now and would have several -20 and -30 degree days. Many times around the end of Dec and first of Jan we would be lucky if the high would be zero. This year the winter is not bad,,, in Florida till April 15th :lol: :lol:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

dewey

Postby dewey » February 7th, 2014, 11:41 am

Here in Minneapolis we have had a cold winter but the other night on the Kare 11 news they had a graphic showing the total number of low temperatures below zero for a year and the highest 3 were from the 1870's-1880's. Those were in the 60 day range and this winter we are up to 34 so far and if you figure we get 15-25 more then we are in the top 1-5 range which makes it pretty darn cold. I remember in 1996-1997 that we had a historically cold and snowy winter then we had quite a few mild winters.

Here is an excerpt from MinnPost

http://www.minnpost.com/glean/2014/02/l ... r-30-years

What your numb fingers were already telling you … Paul Huttner of MPR writes: “While you’ve been crunching on the snow in your driveway, your local National Weather Service gurus have been crunching the numbers. They tell us that so far this winter is the coldest in 30 years, depending on which numbers you measure. … So far this winter is running about 7.5 degrees colder than average through December and January. Add up all the highs and lows and you come up with 10.2 degrees. That’s it, folks. And that’s only good enough for 17th coldest winter on record going back to 1894.”

I think the weather patterns are cyclical but part of me can follow the 'science'. Great idea for a topic Clark.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

retranger

Postby retranger » February 7th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Didn't mean to post it twice,,,,don't know what happened, I tried to delete one. Sorry

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 7th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Depends on what " expert " you listen to, a couple of years back, when people began to get skeptical, the phrasing was changed to " climate change", so now the believers can blame everything from extreme cold, fires, hurricanes, heat, whatever, on man made carbon emissions....just a bunch of bunk IMO, us more mature individuals remember hot summers and cold winters in the 60s and 70s, and to take a page from retrangers playbook, they didn't use to bother me as much as they do now.... :cry:
David

You never know, unless you go

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 7th, 2014, 8:45 pm

I'd have to agree with *getting old* back in the 60/70's we used to wait for the winter, ice fishing and bunny hunting during the x-mas school break with a foot of good solid ice and 2' of good snow, that was heaven. Now we cring with the mention of snow or cold weather :P . I remember fishing all day without gloves on, no heated shacks or pop-ups to sit in, just an old ice bar, a skimmer, and a jig pole, and a bucket to sit on. Now we want a heated insulated shack, power auger, a heated vest and two pairs of gloves, and a heavy insulated snow suit :mrgreen: . It's a bare getting old :lol: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 7th, 2014, 11:16 pm

If "getting old" is the reason then I'm going to have to move to the Amazon when I get older. :lol: I'm only 39 and ready for it to come an end. You boys that live in the northern states I don't see how ya handle it. Its worse up there than it is down here and I can't tolerate it. I rather be sweating my butt off than freezing it.

I know for years I've heard the reason why there are so many mosquitos is because it doesn't get cold like it used to. Well if that's the case there shouldn't be a skitter alive this spring. If this winter doesn't kill them then nothing short of an ice age will. :lol:

retranger

Postby retranger » February 8th, 2014, 8:24 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:It's a bare getting old :lol: .

Yea but the alternative isn't very good :lol: :lol:
kygobbler wrote:You boys that live in the northern states I don't see how ya handle it. Its worse up there than it is down here and I can't tolerate it.

We arrive in Florida on Nov 1st and slowly drive back north April 15th :lol: :lol: Have to get back for turkey season May 1st

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion