Computer nerd needed

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Re: Computer nerd needed

Postby kygobbler » February 4th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Ok maybe sand them might not be the "correct" wording. I know on glass calls you have to sand or "tune" them in the same direction. I'm wondering if the teasers are the same way or not.

So when I go to take off the old chalk or get rid of the glaze look on the call is it better to work the sandpaper with the grain (going up and) or going from left to right?
Is it turkey season yet?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 4th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Uh huh :) I went back and found the playing and tuning thread for teaser calls ( call maker post ), it doesn't say to sand/ file with the grain or against, ..... Help!!!!! I did sand mine against the grain and it still plays.??
David

You never know, unless you go

ads1

Postby ads1 » February 4th, 2014, 10:05 pm

ylpnfol wrote:Uh huh :) I went back and found the playing and tuning thread for teaser calls ( call maker post ), it doesn't say to sand/ file with the grain or against, ..... Help!!!!! I did sand mine against the grain and it still plays.??

Scott told me to sand across the tongue.

Terry

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 4th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Well by golly, there you have it.....thanks
David

You never know, unless you go

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 4th, 2014, 11:15 pm

When I tune/conditition them I sand ACROSS the tongue, not with the grain (up n down the tongue). I learned that from Dick Kirby, I was out hunting and ran into him, years ago. I was in the parking lot sanding the paddle on my box call and rechalking it, He asked, *what the hell are you doing* told him I was sanding the glaze of the lid to rechalk it. He grabbed the call away from me and asked who told you to sand it like that? I said that what it said in the instruction, sand it length ways of the lid? He shook his head and said toss those instructions, they're useless, you never sand with the grain on a wood to wood friction call, the rails you sand with the grain, the lid you sand across the grain!! He then resanded the lid and chalked it up and said now play it. It sounded a heck of a lot better. Sanding it with the grain make for a very high pitched sounding call. Sanding across the grain creates a checkering effect in the wood and makes the call play a lot easier. So with a tongue call where you have a small tipped striker, you need all the help you can get to make them easy to play, sanding across the tongue creates that checkering effect and you can play them in any direction. I've sanded every box call, tongue call, scratch box striker, I've ever owned across the grain.

When I sand the tongues, I use 80 grit to conditition them, or a 100 grit if I need a higher pitched call, then in the woods I use just a fingernail file to scuff them up a bit to keep them play right. Don't sand too much, just enough to get rid of the glaze.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 5th, 2014, 9:38 am

Good info. I have always lightly sanded with the grain to remove glaze. I'll be going across the grain to see what kind of changes I get. My favorite long box seems higher pitch than it used to be & now I understand why. Thanks Scott!
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion