Ported Chokes With Ported Barrels

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
hunter177

Ported Chokes With Ported Barrels

Postby hunter177 » January 30th, 2014, 9:01 pm

This might seem like a weird question but my new Mossberg 500 Turkey Gun came with the factory XX-Full turkey choke. The choke is not ported. It has a 24" ported barrel. Most aftermarket chokes are ported so I'm wondering if using a ported choke with a ported barrel will affect pattern or velocity? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Mossberg 500 Turkey Gun 12 gauge
24" barrel, 3", Mossy Oak Infinity camo
Mossberg Accu-Choke XX-Full turkey choke
Winchester DoubleX 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

retranger

Re: Ported Chokes With Ported Barrels

Postby retranger » January 30th, 2014, 9:05 pm

I can't advise you on the ported issue but when I had a question regarding my mossbergs I emailed or called mossberg directly and got the answers. They were very good about that. :D :D
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » January 30th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Thanks retranger! I never even gave that a thought. I'll do that and post their answer.
Mossberg 500 Turkey Gun 12 gauge
24" barrel, 3", Mossy Oak Infinity camo
Mossberg Accu-Choke XX-Full turkey choke
Winchester DoubleX 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

shaman

Postby shaman » January 31st, 2014, 6:29 am

For about a decade I had a ported choke on a ported barrel on my Mossy 500. I shot Federal #4's out of it, and everything was fine. When my son started hunting, his Mossberg did not have a ported barrel, so I bought myself a new choke tube without porting and gave him mine. Both shot just fine.

Bottom line: I don't see where you will have trouble.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 31st, 2014, 10:48 pm

A buddy of mine shoots a ported choke in a ported barrel. Each porting does what it is supposed to and helps him shoot a good pattern. He shoots copper plated lead shot and has killed a bunch of turkeys with that set up.

I shoot a non-ported barrel and a ported choke, but I shoot Hevi shot. The patterns out of my gun are superior in pellet count and density to his out of the same make of gun. I find it hard to believe he hasn't switched over after comparing results from our patterning tests. To be fair, he kills turkeys just as dead and doesn't spend as much per shot doing it as I do. As much time, money, and effort as I put into turkey hunting, I want every legal advantage I can get to improve my odds.

Find a good ammo/ choke combination that works in your gun and it shouldn't matter if your rig is ported or not. Good luck & tight patterns.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Shooting