Red Dot HELP

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
misterk3

Red Dot HELP

Postby misterk3 » January 26th, 2014, 10:06 am

I recently purchased a dedicated turkey shotgun from my local BPS. Stoeger P350 12GA all camo with Benelli XFull choke. The thing is it came with an unsighted barrel and a cantilever weaver rail. I originally put a Pursuit 1x25 red/green dot sight on it but that ended in an epic fail.

I need to replace the returned sight but could use some input. I am on a budget of about 50-75 dollars and I know that won't buy the high end sights. I have looked all through amazon, midway, and opticsplanet but can't decide. I think I want a holographic style sight since it seems easier to look around for an unsighted view. I know I didn't care for the 1x25 but perhaps a 1x30 compact red dot would work.

The more I look around the more confused I become plus I am a tactile buyer and like to feel a thing in my hands before I purchase which I can't do online.

So basically.....HELP!

Cut N Run

Re: Red Dot HELP

Postby Cut N Run » January 28th, 2014, 10:16 pm

I bought a TruGlo red dot 8 years ago, but it ate batteries like crazy, it was kind of clunky, and it threw the balance of my gun off. It worked o.k. and I used to kill one turkey. But I gave it to a buddy of mine who still uses it to this day. I liked the concept of a red dot sight, but didn't like the lower end sight I bought. I would suggest saving up and getting yourself a Burris FastFire. They're not cheap, but they work great. I added a Burris Speed Bead to my turkey gun, which wasn't drilled and tapped and didn't have a scope mount, so I went with the Speed Bead mount. It is compact, weighs almost nothing, and it works like a champ. I have killed a few turkeys with it and can't imagine hunting without it. To save money, You may be able to find a used one online, because Burris recently upgraded to the FastFire III and there may be some older models available out there at a discounted price. They are definitely worth the money and are orders of magnitude better than a low end red dot.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » January 29th, 2014, 8:26 am

I have a red/green dot,,,,,I think it is truglo. It is called the turkey buster. Have had it about 3----4 years and have not had any problems. The battery is one of the flat watch type and only replaced it once and that was because I forgot to turn it off at end of season. If I remember correctly it was around $100.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » March 15th, 2014, 9:07 pm

I am on my third red dot sight now. Started out with an old original aimpoint,it was a great sight. Sturdy and dependable,but only 1x25 I think? Switched over to a Tasco propoint 1x30 which was better! Now using a Bushnel trophy red/green dot sight which has worked great, has adjustable rheostat for brightness control and is priced right $69-$89.Be careful of the dot size on whatever you choose,the smaller the better so as not to obscure your target!!! Sight is 1x30 also. I do not like sights with any power because it's hard to judge distance while the birds slowly work their way into range, maybe thats just my preference though :) Like the other guys said the Burris Fastfire looks really good, smaller ,streamlined on top of your gun,lightweight to boot! This will be my next sight when the Bushnel fails me by wearing out, I'll start saving now it's a little pricey.Or pricer yet the EOtech :ugeek: good luck and good hunting joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 16th, 2014, 7:02 am

Nice to see some love for the durability of the Tru Glo, alot of times they get brushed aside because they are cheap..

I have had had a TG 40 mm dot on my 20 gauge for 6-7 years, it gets hunted 40+ days every year.. It gets crawled, dropped and even thrown after some misses.. It has some dings but has never shifted POI.. For a cheap dot I would buy another in a heartbeat.

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » March 22nd, 2014, 12:53 pm

See field test in April 2014 edition of Field and Stream; good article and it's got me rethinking on the Fastfire. As I believe in the importance of ease of adjustment in the field and on the range! :D Hope the article helps.
Good luck and good hunting joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

Return to Shooting